Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2010, 11:42 AM   #1 
laughing green eyes

Unhappy I donít think this is Ick, although I could be wrong.

Hello everyone! Iím a first time poster, and itís sad that my first post has to be such a pitiful one.
Iíve had my Finnigan for about 3 months now, bought from the local pet store in my small town which focuses on reptiles, amphibians, and fish. I only noticed this about a week or a week and a half ago.

I donít think this is Ick, although I could be wrong. Here are his symptoms:
A white small patch appeared on the top of his head about a week ago. It was barely noticeable, and so I didnít really notice it until I sat down in front of his tank one day to relax and just watch him swim. As soon as I noticed it, I began obsessing over it (as is my nature). In the past week, Iíve changed his water (which I do on a regular, by-weekly basis of at least 50% of the water each time), cleaned out the tank, kept dutifully on top of his tankís condition, and have recently added ďJungle Fungus Eliminator,Ē carbon filter removed, etc. about 2 days ago (I had bought Melafix, but then read some not-so-encouraging reviews of it, so I switched to the only other medicine I could find in my town). The splotch on his head seems to continue to grow, despite everything Iíve done. During his water change, I took the opportunity to examine the rest of his body up close (while we were both waiting for the heater to re-heat the new water.) I am disheartened to find there is the tiniest bit of white now on his snout, and a touch around his pectoral fins.
He wasnít lethargic before, and still now he swims around like everythingís okay, but will sort of sit at the bottom for a while, doing nothing, then become active again. He still eats as vigorously as before.

Finnigan is the first pet Iíve allowed myself to get close to since I had to have my cat of 13 years put down. Iím an emotional gal, the fact that I seemingly canít help him is torturing me! ):
Can anyone help me?

Here`s the best picture I could get of his head:
laughing green eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:53 AM   #2 
kelly528

Please fill this out:

Quote:
CONSULT FORM

How big is the tank?

Is it uncycled or cycled?

How much water do you change?

How often do you change the water?

WATER STATS
Please try to answer these to the best of your ability. If you do not have a test kit, please bring a sample of tankwater to the nearest local pet store. They should test it for cheap, but most of the time free. Write the actual numbers down, don’t take ‘okay’, ‘low’ or ‘fine’ for an answer.

Temperature:

pH:

Ammonia:

Nitrite:

Nitrate:
Does it look fizzy in any way?
How fast is it spreading?
Do you have a more recent picture?
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:07 PM   #3 
Hadouken441

Eek! If it gets bigger and whiter it might be columnaris
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:25 PM   #4 
kelly528

That's what I'm thinking :(
Old 02-19-2010, 03:13 PM   #5 
laughing green eyes

My tank is a 2.5 gallon Aqueon Mini Bow.
It is cycled.
I change about 50% of the water every other week. I clean out the entire tank about once every month or so.

The temp. is at 78degrees.
The pH is at 7.0.
I’m out of my other test kits, but will be going to get more either this evening or tomorrow morning.
The picture was taken this morning. It doesn’t look fuzzy, and it seems to be spreading rather slowly.

I’ve read up on columnaris now, and it does seem to fit his symptoms. I’ll keep a careful eye on the water quality for now, and when I’m out tonight I’ll look for some of the suggested treatments. I hope something helps him.
Thanks to everyone who has responded so far! It’s a bit of a relief to at least know what it might be. If anyone has any tips for treatment, I would be forever grateful. (:
Old 02-19-2010, 04:05 PM   #6 
kelly528

I would tackle the columnaris with a combination of Maracyn and Maracyn 2. They are awesome medications and will also treat/prevent any secondary bacterial infections that may pop up when used in conjunction.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:38 PM   #7 
laughing green eyes

Thanks for the help, lovely community!
Unfortunately, though, things look bad right now.

Since I lost posted, I had allowed the final few days of his dosage of Fungus Eliminator to run its course, and then promptly took the steps needed to change his medicine, this time Binox Extra Strength (as suggested by various websites), coupled with a touch of aquarium salt. I canít get a good enough picture of his progression to post tonight, but Iíll try tomorrow morning. Iíll describe it though. After a scare when almost his entire face turned white, the new medicine was introduced and his face is now almost completely back to normal. In the meantime, though, the area just before his pectoral fins had gone white (they are now still pale, but regaining colour). He was still lively as ever, eating enthusiastically when fed, swimming around his tank, blowing bubbles now and then.
I thought things were looking up. This morning I awoke knowing that it had been four days since first introducing the Biofix, which meant it was time for a 25% water change with a second dose. I went to feed him, and discovered that he had lost a small, seemingly decorative fin that is positioned just after his head, in the direction on his tail. Not his Dorsal Fin, but a smaller one just prior to that. This evening I checked on him again and noticed all of his fins (Dorsal, Anal, Ventral, and Caudal) seem to be in rough shape (I must have missed it this morning). There is nothing sharp or rough in his tank, so heís not snagging them on anything. Theyíve lost about 1/3rd of their length. His Caudal fin, though, seems to have lost about Ĺ of its length. He also has been slowly developing paler patches on his back (they seem to form just as he gains more colour on his face, my luck I guess).
Heís still relatively lively. When I walk into my room he swims around excitedly, and I just put my finger in the tank to feel the water and he came up and nibbled on it.
I canít find Maracyn and Maracyn 2 anywhere, but I -am- willing to order it online, if you (whoever is reading this) thinks it is worthwhile. All the stats for his tank are the same as previously posted, other than the fact that the filter has been removed as per the medication's instruction.

Iím pretty low right now, I had convinced myself that he was getting better, but now the opposite seems to be happening. But I refuse, refuse, to give up on him right now!
Old 03-02-2010, 07:55 PM   #8 
Chicklet

Look anything like this?

Last edited by Chicklet; 03-02-2010 at 07:59 PM.
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:32 AM   #9 
laughing green eyes

Nope, it's not fuzzy like that. It looks more like...like the scales are falling off.
Here's some pictures form this morning: