Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2014, 08:25 PM   #11 
JDragon

I was thinking fry would enjoy plants. Now do you have the water wisteria with large rounder leaves or the smaller branches? I like the smaller branches, but i'll have to acquire some as all I have is the rounded leaves.
JDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:31 PM   #12 
PieTime

Just to quickly but in here about vinegar eels, I love them! Absolutely painless to culture. I didn't even look at mine once for about 2 months (Provided no care whatsoever. Whoops), and when I meandered back over to their corner of the basement, the culture was stronger than ever.
PieTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:06 PM   #13 
missavgp

I know! they are an awesome culture, no effort whatsoever after you set them up. I keep feeding them for a while to make sure the smaller fry get something too.

I have the smaller branches and they LOVE to hide in them. So much that with the MG CT spawn I have going I didn't realize how many fry were in there until I did a water change yesterday. I counted the ones that got caught in the siphon (I remove the attachment and just just the tube with the bulb to get them going. The fry get swirled around but not hurt) and I has 170+ fry! and it didn't look like I had removed any from the tank.
missavgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:36 PM   #14 
JDragon

Talking

So you don't have to feed he culture much? Also, would these containers help? I've had them awhile and have no idea what to use them for...
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2014, 09:00 PM   #15 
amphirion

if the reservoirs were smaller, or if you were working on multiple breeding projects, that size would be great. personally i use a small petri dish, collect worms, add water, then use a syringe to dispense food.

i strongly suggest starting cultures about 2 weeks in advance. you want to have a surplus of food before the fry arrive. vinegar worms seem very non maintenance, but other cultures can crash if they are overpopulated, so 2 weeks seems about the best for me. you're welcome to try out even earlier. nothing worse than having to feed your fry and having nothing to feed them with because you were underprepared with foods.

if your tank is hydra free, i would also strongly suggest putting in live plants; its not only for fry hiding but the plants also provide microscopic inverts that the fry can eat right away before you have a chance to put in the worms.
amphirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:09 AM   #16 
JDragon

That's very similar to what I do with daphnia. I'll have to try that out. And I was planning to have them ready early, just wasn't sure exactly what time frame, that will help out a lot. Also, what is hydra? I've never heard of that... I'll have to look it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
if the reservoirs were smaller, or if you were working on multiple breeding projects, that size would be great. personally i use a small petri dish, collect worms, add water, then use a syringe to dispense food.

i strongly suggest starting cultures about 2 weeks in advance. you want to have a surplus of food before the fry arrive. vinegar worms seem very non maintenance, but other cultures can crash if they are overpopulated, so 2 weeks seems about the best for me. you're welcome to try out even earlier. nothing worse than having to feed your fry and having nothing to feed them with because you were underprepared with foods.

if your tank is hydra free, i would also strongly suggest putting in live plants; its not only for fry hiding but the plants also provide microscopic inverts that the fry can eat right away before you have a chance to put in the worms.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:56 PM   #17 
amphirion

In layman's terms, baby freshwater sea anemones--which is cool and all, until you see them multiply and devour your betta fry. I've yet to encounter an infestation, but have heard of horror stories involving them and have no intention of allowing in my tanks.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:07 AM   #18 
JDragon

Well, I don't want a horror story, so I'll put some live plants in... likely wisteria, frogbit, maybe an anubias, and whatever else I can grab. I do have a 20g long. Would that be good for a grow out? If so, how long should I wait until I transfer them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
In layman's terms, baby freshwater sea anemones--which is cool and all, until you see them multiply and devour your betta fry. I've yet to encounter an infestation, but have heard of horror stories involving them and have no intention of allowing in my tanks.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:59 AM   #19 
amphirion

Long term yes, but I would grow them in a 10 gallon just for a bit. The problem with the 20 gallon long in the initial run is food distribution. You would need to pump in 2-4 times the amount of food for the fry to get the same density and coverage as a 10 gallon to ensure the fry are being well fed.

Alternatively, you can block half the tank with a sermipermiable membrane which can be removed later as the fry get bigger.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:05 AM   #20 
JDragon

I was already planning grabbing another 10 gallon before the sale goes off just for the beginning. So approximately how old/large would they ideally be to go into the grow out?