Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2010, 01:53 PM   #1 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Unhappy What is this??!!!

Eclipse has been really bloated so I've been fasting him. He's been pooping a little bit and his stomach has gone down a little, but I noticed this morning that it's gotten pretty big again. When I was cleaning tanks, I looked into his temporary bowl that I have him in and he's pooping but there's white stringy stuff attached to it! It also looked like there was a little yellow blob covering his poop. What is this?? I was able to take pictures. You can also see how big his stomach is. Is this more than just bloating? He hasn't shown signs of SBD because he can go down to the bottom and he doesn't much time at the top. He also hasn't rolled over on his side. I'm stumped...
Attached Images

BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:14 PM   #2 
kelly528

Uh oh. Keep an eye on that. A one-time stringy poop can simply be an irritated digestive tract overproducing mucus but if you see this a few more times it's internal parasites. Jungle Parasite Clear used in conjunction with Jungle's anti-parasitic food should clear it up.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:03 PM   #3 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Ok thanks! I'll try to get to Petsmart tomorrow. I only have JFC and Maracryn.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:34 PM   #4 
BettaxFishxCrazy

He hasn't pooped since. Should I keep an eye on him until he poops again and than if it turns out fine it isn't internal parasites, but if it comes out stringy again should I get the medication and food right away? I looked and Petsmart has both of those things that you recommended to me but I don't want to put the medicine in if I don't know for sure what it is.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:43 AM   #5 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I checked on him this morning and he's pooping white stuff again with no regular brown poop, it's just a white string. *sighs* I'm so confused though because I've had him for 5 or 6 months with no problems and I don't feed any of my fish live food. So how could he get internal parasites?
Old 02-22-2010, 11:29 AM   #6 
BettaxFishxCrazy

No one wants to help me?? Well if someone wants to help here's an update: I got the medication and the food, but he's not eating the food. I can tell he's in distress and I don't know what to do...I can't force the food in his mouth like I can with a dog.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:55 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Are you feeding,or trying to, anti parasite food by Jungle Labs? You might try soaking it in garlic juice or Garlic Guard to make it taste better.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:09 PM   #8 
Kittles

Well I read your plea in the off-topic section of the board, and although I have no experience in fish illnesses, I thought I would do my part to research the symptoms you've described and come up with something to share.

Several other forums I went to suggested that white stringy poop meant internal worms, which I think has already been concluded here. As far as medication goes, a vet on Ultimate Bettas recommended Paracide-D and DeLos from National Fish Pharmacy, and included a link: http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/products3.html#Paracide-D

You can view the original thread I just summarized here: http://www.ultimatebettas.com/index.php?showtopic=24803

I don't know how helpful this is, or if camallanus worms are your problem, but the symptoms appear related to yours so there might be some valuable information?
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:42 PM   #9 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Thank you Kittles. :) The JPC should work on him, but he's not eating the food. I would try soaking it in something but he won't even come up to eat the food so I don't think it would work. Yeah, it's the jungle anti-parasite food.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:06 PM   #10 
Kittles

I realize he won't eat the food, but what I noticed with the medications on Fish Pharmacy is that both Paracide-D and DeLos are water treatments, which I thought you might find beneficial - Paracide-D can be used as a food coating as well if you ever get him to take to it.

Again, I know nothing of them personally, this is just information I've recently read on the site.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote