Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-03-2014, 02:17 PM   #1 
AB3

Check this guy out. Help me decide!

Whats up everyone Im brand new to the site my names Abe, Im more of a saltwater guy but Ive always loved bettas and I just picked up this guy from my LFS and i want to try breeding him. Ive done my due research on it and I think I'm ready for it I just need to decide on a female for him. I did some light reading on genetics but its a little confusing without experience also I really am just interested in what all of You with experience think would be cool to do. Im all ears for any Ideas on what you think would come out nice. He's black and orange VT with some Blue iridescence on him, the pic really doesn't do him justice he's really nice in person. I love and would like to keep the orange if possible but I'm really just curious to see what you all think i can't wait for your suggestions. Thanks a lot, glad to be a part of the site
Attached Images

AB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:48 PM   #2 
Eep Crood

Get one that is roughly the same size as him, and same coloring
Eep Crood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:33 PM   #3 
Bailmint

He's gorgeous, and he might have a little HM in him too. ^.^ (< Just guessing xD)
Bailmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:36 PM   #4 
PetMania

He's very beautiful, but you may find a hard time finding homes for the fry as he is a VT.
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:55 PM   #5 
amphirion

Aside from what others have already mentioned, orange is a recessive trait. To complicate matters more, crossing orange with orange will yield paler oranges than either parent. Thus, if you really want saturated oranges, you will need to cross it with a female that has red. Then the offspring can either be crossed back to the father or crossed with each other. Back cross with father yields 50-50 red and orange. Sibling cross will be 75 red phenotype and 25% orange.

And we haven't touched on the blue and black aspects...
amphirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:46 PM   #6 
AB3

Interesting so what do you think about going with a red CT?
Old 04-03-2014, 11:50 PM   #7 
AB3

Or is it better to do something like a red dragon hmpk instead of an all red ct? And thanks for the help everyone i appreciate it. Im assuming the black and blues are going to dominate over most right?
Old 04-04-2014, 12:00 AM   #8 
PetMania

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 View Post
Or is it better to do something like a red dragon hmpk instead of an all red ct? And thanks for the help everyone i appreciate it. Im assuming the black and blues are going to dominate over most right?
Red is a dominant color in bettas. A red dragon HMPK would be great. CTs require precise water conditions but are good if you wish to start with a less intricate spawn. I suggest looking on Aquabid or if you can find a nice dragon at your LFS with a good form and health check that would work. Remember that with pet store fish you'll get a bunch of wild cards but nothing you can't breed out . Another suggestion would be some MG HMs or a nice marble HMPK pair. Anything besides VTs would work as VTs are generally not saught after as they are so common nowadays.
Hope I helped! =) Let me know if there's anything else

PS: Breeding bettas is a hobby, so the choice of pairing is completely up to you. Just make sure there are going to be homes for all the fry :) As you may know they can reproduce hundreds and it may be difficult to rehome hundreds of VTs even if they have unique coloring

Last edited by PetMania; 04-04-2014 at 12:03 AM.
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:02 AM   #9 
amphirion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 View Post

This depends on what you are aiming for. If you're aiming to look like the father you are better off with the red tc vs the dragon, here's why: your father betta is a predominantly black body. Red is the 2nd inner layer of a betta's skin so to speak, black and blue are on top of it in that order. So you are correct but at the same time not, in saying that black and blue will dominate red. Let me explain: If you introduce a dragon scale you will have excessive metallic blue covering the black body. It is true that red is a dominant trait, but only a dominant trait for the red layer. Black and blue operate independently from red. In order for the red to be a dominant color, the black layer must be selected for reduction (cannot be the melano gene, but can be normal, Cambodian, or blonde-- all these operate on the black layer). The blue must be selectively reduced-- the most difficult part; most red bettas on the market have residual blue on them.
amphirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:25 AM   #10 
AB3

Yea im definitely going to get the female online somewhere, i honestly hate LFS bc of quality of care but i work at one awkwardly enough and fell inlove w this guy when we got him so i decided to rescue him lol. But ok so if i go with the dragon, all the fry will keep the black/blue on the body and have primarily red fins but hold the recessive orange gene so that down the road i can cross again with the father and get a nice orange fin out of them? Is that right? Btw sorry if im just not getting it you guys are doing a great job explaining im just new to this. Anyway i do want to keep the black blue body i think and maybe make it a littlee bit more iridescent also i would like to change the tail form if possible. Also @petmania how do you think they would come out if i do the mustardgas? Would it enhance the iridescence and loose the orange? And how would the marble come out? Again thanks guys very interesting and informative stuff