Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2014, 01:59 AM   #1 
gsivac03

Betta Guy not making bubble nest in the breeding tank

Hi Betta Gurus,

Last month i started of with this breeding project. My breeding pair is a HM Iridescent Blue color. Both are very healthy and Big. Initially conditioned the male and female with different foods for 3 weeks. Later last week introduced Male in the breeding tank(8G)...filled 10 - 15 cms water with live plants and floating Indian almond leaf on top right corner. Oxygen motor with low pressure on the left corner covered with floating plants to reduce the current....Waited for couple of days for the male to build bubble nest...nothing happened not even a single bubble...then tried introducing the female in glass chimney setup near the IAL....waited for couple of days...saw some 15 big size bubbles...those doesnt seem to be the normal bubbles...again checked today no progress...no extra bubbles...not sure wat is happening exactly...but Male and female are constantly flaring at each other...feeding them twice in the breeding tank...its the 3rd day Male n Female(inside chimney glass) are in the breeding tank...kindly help me if am making a mistake here.

Thanks in advance

Regards
Siva
gsivac03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:43 PM   #2 
amphirion

my male only seems to build bubble nests in the presence of female bettas, especially receptive ones. if he doesnt have anyone to dance for he wont build.

that being said, bettas have different personalities as well. i've had males who skipped the bubblenest stage and built it ad-hoc while spawning.

what have you been conditioning/feeding your bettas? frozen and live foods are a much better option in this case.
amphirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:23 PM   #3 
Sena Hansler

I stole another male's nest, to encourage a handful of mine to build upon it. It actually works. He'll either destroy it and make his own, or build on it. Otherwise I show him a mirror, another male, or make sure he can smell the female. Females and males both give off a pheromone, as if to say "here I am, this is me!" Seeing isn't the only "trigger" for males. I do this by using a net breeder box, or scooping her water into his to introduce the scent.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:53 AM   #4 
gsivac03

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply...appreciate ur valuable response.

@Amphirion - Very true...am facing the same issue wit my guy...my male didnt build any bubblenest even after keeping female inside the breeding tank inside Chimney glass...he wants her out...sunday morning finally i have decided to try out this last option...releasing the female...No vertical lines for the female but she had dark body...there were little fights, chase etc but not that much...saw little bit of bubble nest in the afternoon...but not much of a progress...today morning again he started building the bubblenest...chasing continues as well...my guy is pretty laid back..at times feel lik jumping inside n teach him wat to do...

@Sena Hansler - I tried ur method too...he didnt destroy it or build one...he was jus moving here n there...dont hav any idea wat my guy is really trying.

Updates so far from breeding project

1. 3 Weeks Conditioning completed for male & Female - Frozen Blood worms/Shrimp/Betta Pellets...2 times a day.
2. Male in Breeding tank for more than a week with female(Inside Chimney glass).
3. Zero bubblenest till 4th April.
4. Sunday released the Female from Chimney glass, both are accessable to each other. There are some 20 bubbles under indian almond leaf...but over 50 bubbles above some plants on the opposite side.
5. Still chasing n little fights going on here n there...but they are kinda cool not so violent.

Its been a day since they are together in the breeding tank with access...No vertical lines for the female..No embrace till now...just dont knw whether this proj will be successfull..kindly pour ur thoughts on this....thanks in advance.
Regards
Siva
Old 04-07-2014, 06:37 AM   #5 
Sena Hansler

Remember that it doesn't always work overnight. Some take a week or longer to spawn. If I notice my pair suddenly losing interest in each other I remove them and condition them heavily for 2+ weeks, making sure they do not see any other fish at all, asides exercising with a mirror. Hopefully you can find your own "rhythm" as to whwt you find works best for you!!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:08 AM   #6 
gsivac03

Update on the breeding...

1. Male started building bubble nest since Monday....today i saw quite a good number of bubble nest.
2. No vertical lines for the female yet
3. No spawning yet...Female is scared of the male and always away from Male's sight.
4. Been 4 days since male n female are together in the breeding tank.
5. Male and female not eating much/doesnt really care to eat...

Wondering whether they will spawn...i have one last resort to try...i have read in some Thailand Breeder website...he says that if the male is not spawning even after 4 - 5 days...we shud remove the male and place it with an other male for a small fight for say 15 - 30mins...after that we need to leave the male again in breeding tank and it will spawn 100%...not sure if its true...but have no choice.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:49 AM   #7 
atb224155

Are you using the foam cup? Like placing a part of it in the tank. Also, have you tried giving them some privacy and coming back to check on them abit later on. Fish who either take to each other prefer privacy.
atb224155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:34 AM   #8 
gsivac03

Yes... initially i placed IAL and left it for a couple of days...Male didnt build even a single bubble under it...instead it was building exactly on the opposite side of the tank above some live plants kept for hiding...they actually used IAL as a bed...both male n female went on top of it...eventually IAL came down at the bottom of the tank...sterday i placed the cup above the bubblenest already built to protect it without disturbing them when they both were fighting...i hav also placed cardboard sheets on all the four sides of the tank to give them privacy.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:45 AM   #9 
atb224155

You might have a pair of stubborn bettas then. If the male hasn't wrapped around the female at this point. Then it's not ment to be for them, might have to get a back-up bachelor.
atb224155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:50 AM   #10 
gsivac03

Hmmm...didnt expect to endup like this for my first spawn :( ...guess am going to try the last resort today....else back to individual bottles...will try another pair :)