Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-21-2010, 04:26 PM   #1 
KristiLee

Shipping bags for bringing him home??

I was thinking about purchasing some fish shipping bags for when I bring Henry home on weekends/ for spring break. I've tried other things, like a smallish (but still with plenty of room for him to swim) tupperwear container with holes in the lid, as well as removing a little over half of the water from his tank (at the time he was in a 1 gal. Now he's in a 2.5 and I really don't want to have to carry him around in that.) Both of those splashed all over and spilled water all over my lap, as well as frightened poor little Henry out of his wits. I still have the cup I got him in, but it's uber tiny and he absolutely HATES it.

So I started looking at actual shipping bags. I read that you're supposed to use an air pump to get oxygen in at first (and that using your breath will just kill him), but since it's only an hour drive at the longest, would I really need the air pump? Or could I just open the bag every so often to let fresh air in? (I won't be driving, so he'll be in my lap and I won't have to be multitasking.)

Any recommendations about bag size?? Or any other ideas about ways to bring him home?

Thanks!!
KristiLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:39 PM   #2 
doggyhog

He'll probably hate the bag as much as he hates his container. Just keep the container in your lap, but cover it with a dark cloth or something to keep him calm.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:44 PM   #3 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Put him in the cup he came in. Remember that that was home to him until you came along. An hour here or there certainly won't hurt him.

The less room the better for that short period of time IMO, otherwise, you have to deal with a lot of water sloshing around and I doubt that would be too pleasant for him.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:47 PM   #4 
KristiLee

Ahh but I forgot to mention that the cup has a crack in it. I did cover it with duct tape, but I'm nor sure if it would leak at all.. And it's almost impossible to get him to go near the cup. He hasn't been in it in months (I just use it to scoop out water during water changes)

And how much bigger would a bag be than the cup?? He has damaged fins so I don't know if he should be in his tiny cup (I swear it's not even 8 oz.. It's even smaller than a small coffee mug... I can't even fit my hand in it)

Last edited by KristiLee; 02-21-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:58 PM   #5 
doggyhog

You can get a plastic cup at the grocery store. :)
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:16 PM   #6 
Noko

Duct tape is water proof in my experience. It takes a lot longer than an hour to make duct tape let water start dripping out. IMO the cup would be better than a bag.
Noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:31 PM   #7 
KristiLee

Cup-4 , Bag-0.

Well, it looks like we have a winner! =]

I'll probably go to the pet store sometime before I leave and see if they'll let me buy a new (and bigger) cup. (I know they have them there.. I've seen them! o.o). He's grown quite a bit since I've gotten him, so I think he'll appreciate the little bit of extra room.

Thanks, everyone!!
Old 02-21-2010, 05:33 PM   #8 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiLee View Post
Cup-4 , Bag-0.

Well, it looks like we have a winner! =]

I'll probably go to the pet store sometime before I leave and see if they'll let me buy a new (and bigger) cup. (I know they have them there.. I've seen them! o.o). He's grown quite a bit since I've gotten him, so I think he'll appreciate the little bit of extra room.

Thanks, everyone!!
Even better. Then you don't have to worry about leaking.

Good luck :)
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:04 PM   #9 
ScuitoAmi150

Maybe you could buy the Mini Kritter Keeper =]
ScuitoAmi150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:25 PM   #10 
KristiLee

I looked at some mini Kritter Keepers online, and with all the holes in the lid, I think it would leak =[... And slosh around a lot, which stresses Henry out. It's the same issue I have with keeping him in his tank or a tupperware container =[