Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2014, 02:20 PM   #1 
jadaBlu

How often would I need to clean a 29 gallon with two small goldfish?

I don't have them yet but I am considering two getting small feeder fish. If they live long enough to get big I have pond sitting in my shed that I've wanted to have set up in the future. I have read goldfish have a big bioload. Will I be able to clean their tank once a week like my other fish or will they need more care than that? I want to be sure I'd have the time for them. The tank is planted.

I used to keep goldfish but not under ideal conditions because I didn't know any more that what the pet store tells you. Miraculously despite that they managed to live at least 3 years.

If you're wondering I am going with feeder goldfish because this tank has been fallow for 3 months (after some fish got sick) except for snails and seed shrimp. I believe the tank would be safe for fish now but I am not positive. They are 15 cents and destined be eaten. I am thinking they might get new lease on life and I won't have to kill all the snails by taking the tank down. I've seen many posts where people reuse tank after it's run for awhile without fish and found it to be safe. I really used to enjoy my gold fish they don't come across as smart as bettas but they are joy to keep.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:32 PM   #2 
jaysee
Reference Team

You can vacuum the substrate and scrape the glass all you want - that's the extent of cleaning you should do. Filter maintenance as needed - check for overflow over the Intake or reduced flow from the outflow. Don't get carried away with cleaning.

You can do water changes based on your test results if you want, or you can just change an arbitrary amount of water at a some predetermined interval.

The second you purchase the fish with the intent of keeping it for anything other than a feeder, it's prior "purpose" in life is as irrelevant as it's price.

I've left tanks running fishless for months and not lost my cycle.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:13 PM   #3 
jadaBlu

Jaysee I've seen your posts and some other posts about running fallow tanks after illness and restocking and that has me considering not destroying the tank and the remaining life within the tank. Most people on the forum seem to bleach the tanks and I do if it's a five gallon. However, this a planted tank and seems a shame to destroy everything.The seed shrimp reappeared recently (my bettas were eating them). I gather shrimp don't do well if the tank conditions are not optimal. The tank is teaming with life just not fish life.

I don't think the goldfish are valueless by any means. They face a high risk of being killed considering their intended purpose I hope things will be better in my tank. I want to understand their specific needs which are not the same as bettas. So would I need to clean the tank weekly bi-weekly? I've googled this and I am not finding a specific enough answer. How many goldfish do you have? I am interested but not set on this idea I am doing some research before committing.

Last edited by jadaBlu; 04-04-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:22 PM   #4 
jaysee
Reference Team

One water change a week will be sufficient until the day comes that you can't keep your nitrates under control from week to week. At such a point it's time for a larger volume of water for them to live in. If you want to remove accumulated waste between changes you can do that with a turkey baster or even a quick siphon if you want. I had 3 fancy goldfish.

Feeder goldfish grow very fast, provided they don't have parasites. You won't get a year out of the 29.

The needs of most fish aren't all that different. Clean water with stable parameters and good food. Some like higher pH, some like lower. Some adapt to differences in pH better than other fish. There are subtle nuances that separate some fish from the school, but they all require the same basic care.

Last edited by jaysee; 04-04-2014 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:36 PM   #5 
jadaBlu

I guess I'd better consider a different species if I am going to put anything in there because I won't have another tank or place to put them in a year. I have my hands full anyway. Maybe I will try some ghost shrimp or some other shrimp species just to make it more interesting than a completely fishless tank.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:07 PM   #6 
jaysee
Reference Team

There's a lot you can do with a 29. How about a species tank - do a big school of 20-25 tetras, or like 40 chili rasboras.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:15 PM   #7 
Ghostie

I would change water out of the tank at least once a week. Vacuum the gravel when you do this.
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote