Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2010, 05:23 PM   #1 
1fish2fish

Red face Well I broke my promise..

I told myself I was not going to buy one more fish from a pet store.. only rescues and fish from breeders.. guess I lied.

Since I wasn't able to take in Ember and had a 4 gallon cycled tank open I was looking for another male to get. I checked craigslist but didn't find any thing for free. I looked at breeders but I can't justify spending 40+ dollars on a fish right now (including shipping). I was going to start saving up to get a fish from a breeder in a few months.

Well I went to petsmart today to pick up a filter and look at the kittys and dogs for adoption (just to look not to get). And of course I had to look at the bettas and they were in HORRID condtions.. I've never seen dirtier water and many of the fish had horrible tail problems and ammonia burns But I came across this crowntail that was gorgeous, and still seemed quite healthy. He is the best looking ct that I've seen at a petsmart in a LONG time.

Well I got him.. I couldn't let him go and end up dead or in a miserable little bowl. I feel good but I also feel bad at the same time. I still want my HM or HMPK and will be on the look out for tanks so that I can get one eventually.

My new guy is black bodied with red rays (that have black tips that may or may not be fin rot) and he has some iridescent blue scales also. He doesn't have a name yet but I'm looking for some suggestions so far I have:
Bohemian Rhapsody (Rhapsody for short)
Jasper (possibly Jazz for short)
Alec
Demetri
Chaos
Edgar Allen Poe (Edgar or Poe for short)

I'm looking for names that would fit well with a dark colored fish (so nothing that seems "light".. most of the ones I listed are vampire names (I'm a big vampire fan).

I don't have my camera cord with me (I'm home for the weekend) so I can't put up pictures till tomorrow afternoon.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:34 PM   #2 
puppyrjjkm

Sounds pretty, I like the name Demetri :)
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:58 PM   #3 
molliefan09

oooooooooooo demetri is a good name!! and you didnt BUY him from the pet store....you did infact RESCUE him from his dispicable condtion!!
molliefan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:04 PM   #4 
Jooleeah

Othello :)
Jooleeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:38 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I kind of like Poe.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:57 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

Hmm.. Othello.. thats a great suggestion. I really like Demetri and Poe also... I'm going to wait a few days to see what his personality is like before I settle on a name. I put him in a temporary glass pickle jar thats about 1 gallon but only filled half way (cleaned of course) with a small soft plastic plant floating just so I could see him in clean water and he is amazing.. great fins and no damage to speak of. When I get back to Savannah tomorrow I will be putting him in my QT tank for a week or two while I make sure his tank is decorated and stabilized. Depending on what his personality is like I may get an ADF to be his tank mate.. if not he'll have all 4 gallons to himself.

Pictures tomorrow and keep the suggestions coming. :)
Old 02-20-2010, 09:08 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Try calling him by those names to see how they sound to you. That might help you to figure out what sounds right.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:33 PM   #8 
1fish2fish

I have his jar sitting here next to me and have been trying out odd and various names for a while so far I'm really liking the name "Demetri"... someone on another forum suggested "Faust" which is latin for "the fortunate one".. I really like that and there is a variation of "Faustus"... so I was thinking of "Demetri Faustus".. which would mean Demetri the Fortunate One. I would probably end up calling him Demetri. I'm still thinking it over though.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:50 AM   #9 
LisaC144

Post a picture.....then we can pinpoint a name for the little guy.
LisaC144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:06 AM   #10 
1fish2fish

Pictures coming this afternoon. I'm at home right now but I left my camera cord at college so they'll have to wait till I get back there later today. I don't get cell service here in the boonies so I can't upload a cell pic even.

I think I've settled (almost 99%) on either Demetri Faustus or Demetrius Faust... they both mean the same thing.. Demetri the Fortunate One. Demetri doesn't really mean anything special... I just like the sound of it.

BUT knowing me I could completely change my mind. Freddie Mercury's name was originally Eduardo LOL.. so if anyone comes up with a different name once y'all see his picture, feel free to suggest it. Even if I don't use it I'm writing all the names down for future fish.