Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2014, 06:42 AM   #1 
MoonshineShankar

Can anyone recommend a potential mate?

So after loads of research, thoughts and planning I have decided to breed my beloved male betta fish. I am looking to find a potential female for him and after going through colour genetics information, I find myself a bit confused as to what I should get for the results I am looking for.

My male betta is a half moon, and this is a young photo of him:

I am hoping to breed him and I am unsure what female is ideal to get. What I know for certain is that I am looking for a half moon female, however when it comes to colours and patterns I am unsure.

My ideal results but of course not necessary was to achieve his babies with his blues and pinks, and perhaps whites, turquoises, greens and ideally marble or dalmation.

I am unsure what colour and patterned female is most ideal as some colours are dominant then others, while I read marble is not very desirable as the colours are likely to fade, however I have seen older bettas who had lovely colouration while being marbled if they were marbled and not dalmation. I cannot really tell the difference.

I would like to achieve these certain results and though I would ask for some help from some people who have more experience and knowledge with colour genetics.

I would very much appreciate your comments in regards to this subject :)
MoonshineShankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:32 AM   #2 
Eep Crood

Try to get one that is similarly sized and with similar coloring
Eep Crood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:18 PM   #3 
Sena Hansler

Think of how the main colors are connected to each colored desired. Green is from blue, as is turquoise. Also, a cellophone female if I recall correctly will allow you to keep HIS colors. This I have had happen in a couple spawns.

The pinks you see in him will be from reds. Do realize however with his coloration, and if finding a female with the same coloration you are bound to get washes, without any real defined pattern.

I recommend to find a halfmoon or over halfmoon female who is the same size or smaller than he is. From experience it is easier for him to spawn with those sizes - though a larger female can be bred too. This way you can get good looking fry, keeping halfmoons (and of course delta or super delta) as the ideal result.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, breeding, coloration, colors, genetics