Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-21-2010, 11:26 AM   #1 
1fish2fish

Talking Woo Hoo! **Happy Dance**

A lady in my fish club is downsizing and giving a bunch of stuff away for free. I'll be getting some driftwood and possibly a 6 gallon from her at the next meeting.

BUT the best part of all! I'm getting a 20 gallon tall with a wood stand... FREE!!!!! All I have to do is pick it up.. and she lives really close to my parents so thats not a big deal at all

The tank comes with a glass top and the stand.. but I can easily get a filter, heater and light for cheap. I won't be using the tank for a while (unless my mom wants to take a stab at fish keeping) because I'm not allowed anything bigger than a 10 gallon in my dorm But when I get a place off campus I'll be able to start up a guppy/tetra tank or even a sorority of female bettas. I would like to have two or three fancy goldfish but I want to wait till I have at least a 30 gallon tank before trying goldfish.

My mind is running with all the things I can do with this tank... I really wish I could set it up instead of storing it for the future.. but at least I have it!
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:27 AM   #2 
vaygirl

:D That's awesome! Jealousy ensues... :P
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:32 AM   #3 
fishmadcraig

Brilliant :). Your doing the right thing with the goldfish, its brilliant that you understand their specific requirments before jumping in and buying them, i hate seeing goldfish in tiny bowls :(
fishmadcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:32 AM   #4 
1fish2fish

LOL.. this is the best luck I've ever had. When I asked where she lived I figured she would be a hundred miles away in north GA.. but she's only like 13 miles.. its fate I tell you.

This has been a very good fish weekend for me.. new little buddy, soon to come new tank(s).. if I get the eclipse 6 she's giving up too.

Don't be too jealous though.. its going to be at least a year.. if not more before I'm able to set it up... I don't even have a job yet.. much less an apartment. Having a tank and not being able to set it up is much worse than not having a tank. I'm going to really try to work on my mom... she's retiring and I think this would be a great set up for her.. a few neons, an ADF or two, some snails... I could set it all up and cycle it and all she would have to learn is feeding and water changes. ;)

FMC.. I always try to look up the specific requirements.. I actually didn't know goldfish needed such large tanks until I started getting on these forums.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:41 AM   #5 
fishmadcraig

Me neither, i think we've all made mistakes in fish keeping, i had 4 commons and a black moor in a 10 gallon when i first got them! after i became more into fish when i was around 16 i learned there requirements, needless to say their now downstairs in a 70Gallon, which is slightly overstocked, but runs two filters and weekly water changes of 25% :)

Last edited by fishmadcraig; 02-21-2010 at 11:44 AM.
fishmadcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:48 AM   #6 
1fish2fish

Sounds awesome.. I love black moors.. I want to have at least one of them. Even if I did want to try goldfish in a 20 I wouldn't use this one.. its a tall and I would at least use a long.. but like I said I prefer to have tanks on the bigger side of the requirements.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:02 PM   #7 
2brown347

When you get to use it you should look at peacock gudgeons, they're great fish and could go with tetras, guppys, or even female bettas8)
2brown347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:17 PM   #8 
doggyhog

OOooooh your sooooo luckyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:26 PM   #9 
1fish2fish

LOL.. I know.. I'm still excited :D. I'm already scheming about the eclipse 6 gallon I'm getting.. I'm seeing it divided with two girlies or undivided with an HM or HMPK. I really hope my mom will take a bigger interest in fish and want to set up the 20. I'm counting down the days to my first meeting with this club.. I'll be getting the plants, driftwood, and small tank then AND my plants!
Old 02-22-2010, 06:21 AM   #10 
Romad
TFK Moderator

That's pretty awesome.

I know what you mean about anticipation, I have a 75 gal. that I can't set up until sometime late spring or early summer when our new house is ready. I've already changed my mind about 100 times as to what I'll do with it and I'll prolly change it another 100 before I actually set it up. :)
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote