Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-20-2014, 04:29 PM   #21 
Pendulum

I've only one betta (for now), but my betta seems rather fond of his thermometer in his tank. I keep the thermometer off to the side, in a corner of the tank so I can view his beauty. Much to my dismay, he's mostly smooshed against the corner cuddled with the thermometer. Often times the tank looks empty except for that one corner lol. He's more protective of this thermometer than his bubble nest, flaring at me if I threaten to move it. He will "hug" the thermometer by swimming around the glass barrel upwards until he stops in the corner to rest.

I've tried NUMEROUS times to have him enjoy the rest of his tank instead of spending so much of his time by that thermometer. I've moved that thermometer around and bought a handful more ornaments to change his tank around every water change. He uses his leaf hammock to sleep at night but during the day he'll smoosh his little face in that corner against the thermometer. But no matter where I place that thermometer, he's just curled around it like a snake.

I finally managed to catch him napping with it.

I figure he just likes how the glass feels.
Pendulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:11 PM   #22 
Kuunsilta

My crowntail male is 'special'. Every time I do a 50% water change on his tank ( Which I take him out for) and place him back in, he feels the need to assert his dominance. He'll flare and circle around his rock structure decoration for between 15- 30 min. He nips and shows off for this inanimate object until he feels it is subdued. He will then swim through and rest while poking his little head out of the middle of it.

I called him grumpy gills for a reason haha
Kuunsilta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:10 AM   #23 
givemethatfish

Meet Jetta. He's about a year old. Enjoys long swims in his tank, looking grumpy, jumping out of the water for bloodworms, running in panic at the mere sight of a cell phone, and chilling in his mesh tube. Oh, and his fondest wish in his heart of hearts is to swim INTO the gravel vacuum at every single water change. Oh, you got sucked up into a tiny tube with a tiny hole at the end? Traumatized? No? You want to do it again, and again, and again? Great!
Attached Images

givemethatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:05 PM   #24 
Pippin

Mark Antoney is now terrified of a clay betta that I made.
Pippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:14 PM   #25 
Darius359au

Bernard - "Oh look a floating mirror thingy ,Oh look there's another fish in it!" = Meh

"Oh look floatie mirror thingy has a big bubble thing I can push around" = Bonk

Last edited by Darius359au; 05-21-2014 at 10:18 PM.
Darius359au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:41 AM   #26 
Rimbaum

KFoster: omg, Ahti isn't the only one that likes to take joyrides in the filter current? I'm really amused about this for some reason.
Rimbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:53 AM   #27 
KFoster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimbaum View Post
KFoster: omg, Ahti isn't the only one that likes to take joyrides in the filter current? I'm really amused about this for some reason.
! Must be brothas from anotha motha! Lol

Yes it was super fun to watch. Especially when you see them pumping themselves up for it before they do it. "Okay...I can do this...nope no I can't....wait yes, yes...I'm just gunna stare at it for awhile aaaandd....now! ...weeeee! Okay that's good for today, until tomorrow, baffle."
KFoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:04 PM   #28 
Dragon41214

What adorable fish we all have! I caught Dragon my little cave dweller sleeping in the open sleeping right next to his Nerite snail twice! Once the lights are turned on he quickly swims away and will turn around and peck his snail if I am looking at them too long. He used to spend a lot of time flaring everyday but has really settled down since adding his little buddy. However, if he sees even a sliver of glossy dark background he will obsessively chase his reflection until he is thoroughly exhausted. He spends a lot of time in the evening going over every inch of his tank and plants hunting. I feed him in the evening so it is difficult to get him to focus on where his food floats to he is learning to look where I point.
Dragon41214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:31 PM   #29 
Islandgaliam

He just doesn't seem to understand that his tail is not for biting :(
Islandgaliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:40 PM   #30 
taquitos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendulum View Post
I've only one betta (for now), but my betta seems rather fond of his thermometer in his tank. I keep the thermometer off to the side, in a corner of the tank so I can view his beauty. Much to my dismay, he's mostly smooshed against the corner cuddled with the thermometer. Often times the tank looks empty except for that one corner lol. He's more protective of this thermometer than his bubble nest, flaring at me if I threaten to move it. He will "hug" the thermometer by swimming around the glass barrel upwards until he stops in the corner to rest.
Hahahaha my Jackson does this too!!

I have a few weirdo stories about Jackson too:

1) The first night I brought him home, I acclimatized him and then plopped him into his 12 gal. temp. tank. I think I gave the guy a mini heart attack He had, up to this point, lived in relatively small areas, I guess, so when he saw the vast amount of space he was just like I swear, he had a mini panic attack, and quickly swam to a corner. He stayed there until he finally plucked up the courage to go explore the areas... he wouldn't go anywhere near the coffee mug I put in (as a hiding place) until day 3 when he finally decided that it wasn't evil.

2) He tries to fight the dropper that we use to test the water parameters lol. Every time he sees it he swims over and chases after it like "You get away from my home! Stop stealing my water!!" My boyfriend has blow water in his face using it, and he usually shakes it off almost like a dog and comes back to chase after it some more lol!

3) The first time I fed him wingless fruit flies, he had no clue what to do with them lol. He would float up towards them and watch them, but never eat them... luckily he eats them now, but it's like he finds it amusing watching them struggle in the water >_<

4) I've had bettas before and they've all made like... one bubble nest at a time... well the other week this guy made TWO. One on each corner... lol!
taquitos is offline   Reply With Quote