Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2010, 04:22 AM   #1 
Neelie

Angry never seen such an outbreak of ICH in my life!

well, i noticed draco had the damn 2 or 3 lil white spots on his body... put in some treatment, took out carbon filter and said great, my typical luck, ill have it sorted in a week... kept an eye on him, and noticed yesterday that he is COVERED in white spots now... i have never seen a fish with so many of them in my life!! and ive seen alot of fish with ich before...
he feels great, swims around, flares, eats like a whale and hasn't lost colour but he looks like he's been out in the snow LOL

filled a 6L tank, no gravel or deco etc, added fresh meds and heated it to 80 degrees and put him in it... i really hope it will clear it! he's enjoying it suprisingly enough...

whats the worst of ich that ye have seen before?
what are the "limits" a fish can take?
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:04 AM   #2 
kelly528

Don't worry that's normal. The parasites are protected from the medication while they have burrowed under the fish's skin. Ich takes about a month to eliminate. Just keep on the meds and bump the heat up to 82 to speed up the life cycle of the parasite. That way they will drop off faster to reproduce and bam-- they get poisoned by the copper.

Also, thorough gravel vacs will help get free-swimming parasites out of the gravel.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:47 AM   #3 
Neelie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly528 View Post
Don't worry that's normal. The parasites are protected from the medication while they have burrowed under the fish's skin. Ich takes about a month to eliminate. Just keep on the meds and bump the heat up to 82 to speed up the life cycle of the parasite. That way they will drop off faster to reproduce and bam-- they get poisoned by the copper.

Also, thorough gravel vacs will help get free-swimming parasites out of the gravel.
thanks so much for your advice!!! yeah i bumped it up a lil to 80/82 degrees. read a bit bout it this morning. what awful lil beasts!!!!!! its so disgusting!!! i was so shocked how fast they spread though!!! from 3 spots to whole fish within a night!!!
well right now he has no gravel... i put his deco bridge in though caus he was looking for a hiding spot, felt sorry for him...
ill try get pics up... he's just so fast that i can never get a proper pic of him...
Old 02-22-2010, 12:22 PM   #4 
kelly528

They were probably all under his skin. The first three manifested cycsts yesterday (ie the skin surrounding the parasite got irritated and filled with fluid) and then the rest of them popped up overnight.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:20 PM   #5 
sstacy19

That is exactly what happened to spidefish! I raised the temp like Kelly told me to and after about a week they all fell off. I was freaked out by the ick and changed meds halfway through treatment...but the salt and higher temps worked best.
sstacy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:43 AM   #6 
Neelie

i hope it will go away very very soon! i caught his finrot very early and it went away leaving just 2 small rips of 1mm but these spots are awful. the poor guy! he's rubbing off his deco and looks at me like he was saying "bloody do something, woman!"
lava, the female has 1 spot herself now and japan has 2... but started treating 2 days ago so should be ok soon