Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2010, 06:40 AM   #1 
ScuitoAmi150

Question Filter questions

I have a Duetto 50 and how often do I need to replace the carbon?
Also, do I need to have it on 24/7?
And my water kinda smells weird, but our well water has been very metallic smelling lately. I have been using the Purina filter water to add water to the tank.
ScuitoAmi150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:56 AM   #2 
kelly528

You need to keep the filter on 24/7 if the tank is cycled so that the bacteria have a constant supply of oxygen and food.

If at all possible I would just do without the carbon or only change the cartridge when it is falling apart. carbon is only effective for a few days before it becomes 'saturated' with the chemicals it claims to absorb so it isn't necessary to replace it on a monthly basis. Its basically a manufacturers gimmick... you buy their tank kit which comes with x filter and every month you have to drop $5 on THEIR filter insert(Lord forbid you buy a different brand of filter cartridge since only theirs will fit) therefore guaranteeing them $35 for every year you run their filter. A load of BS IMO.

Well I just looked it up and you can easily avoid using carbon by simply nto replacign it of if you wish putting some bio-media in there. You could cut some open-pore sponge to fit, stuff it with filter floss or even put some biomax in an old nylon stocking and put it in there. Looks like a legit filter!
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:37 PM   #3 
ScuitoAmi150

So what would be the point of having a filter then if there is just the two mesh/wire sponges the water has to go through, how can that be cleaning the water? My tank isn't cycled but I was told with the filter I would only need to do 25% water changes (10g) a week & syphon the waste. But if the filter doesn't actually clean the water....
ScuitoAmi150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:21 PM   #4 
kelly528

Whoever told you that needs a reality-check. The only way you would be able to get away with changing the water 25% weekly is

a) Cycle the tank
b) Replace the carbon as needed (which could be daily, weekly, biweekly. You can only know when the carbon has reached its saturation point by testing the water. Under regular stocking you are looking at at least weekly if not more)
c) Invest in another absorbing agent such as Zeo-Carb or Purigen which can usually be 'recharged' by drawing the ammonia out.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote