Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: Should I divide the medium kritter keeper to two sides with a blacked out DIY divider
Yes 5 9.09%
No 50 90.91%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-06-2014, 04:33 PM   #1 
Plakattyphoon1234

Betta fish questions!

Please answer my questions about my concerns:

Is Gorilla glue or hot glue from a hot glue gun safe for aquariums or do i have to spray something that will make the glue safe for fish?

Can i divide a medium kritter keeper and leave a 1.5 gallon space for each betta with a heater (will try to get one in a few weeks or so)?

Are large pebbles small enough for plants to grow in?

Is there anything i can improve in besides getting a heater?
Attached Images

Plakattyphoon1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:06 PM   #2 
BettaNubRandyLove

It would be OK (I say this hesitantly) to have each fish have 1.5 gallons. But in reality it would require a lot of cleaning. Many people on this forum who keep their fish in small tanks like 1.5 gallons or bowls also have live plants in to deal with waste. I think your fish would be happier in a 3 gallon by himself.
BettaNubRandyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:07 PM   #3 
BettaNubRandyLove

Also, I cant tell if those are plastic or silk plants there. But if your using fake plants, get silk. Alright... I'll stop rambling now.
BettaNubRandyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:33 PM   #4 
jackfaz

I would highly recommend not dividing the kritter keeper. While 1.5 gallons is technically enough space per fish, it's not ideal conditions. I have a betta in a 1.5 tank right now as a temporary home and even with a filter the amount of cleaning required is difficult. You would have to take both fish out of the tank completely and scrub it once a week on top of 50% water changes at least 2 days a week. That's stressful for you and the fish. But a 3 gallon setup for 1 fish is a bit easier to upkeep. If you get a sponge filter you can cycle the tank so you won't have to clean it as often. (But you should still be doing 25-50% water changes at least twice a week for now since it's not cycled.) Here's what I recommend to make this the best habitat possible...

-small sponge filter
-heater
-some more plants/ hiding places (I don't have any advice on live plants, unfortunately, all my efforts with live plants have failed miserably.)
-substrate (sand, gravel, or pebbles)
jackfaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:52 PM   #5 
Plakattyphoon1234

Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaNubRandyLove View Post
Also, I cant tell if those are plastic or silk plants there. But if your using fake plants, get silk. Alright... I'll stop rambling now.
They are silk plants from petsmart
Old 04-06-2014, 05:53 PM   #6 
Plakattyphoon1234

I would use a few moss balls to assist in filtering. I would make my self a diy mini filter with high biological capacity. You guys mean by how much cleaning?
Old 04-06-2014, 05:55 PM   #7 
Plakattyphoon1234

Please answer if gorilla glue or hot glue gun glue or both are safe for fish tanks?
Old 04-06-2014, 06:06 PM   #8 
jackfaz

From what I've heard, hot glue and superglue are safe as long as you let them cure completely. (I would say 24 hrs to be on the safe side, and rinse whatever you're using it on before putting it in the tank.) I don't know about gorilla glue.

Moss balls do basically nothing for filtering. In order to depend on plants for filtration you need special, fast growing plants. I don't know what's best because like I said, all my attempts with plants turned bad and actually caused crazy ammonia spikes in my 5 gallon tank. This included moss balls.
jackfaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:44 PM   #9 
Plakattyphoon1234

Well, i should use anacharis plants.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:19 PM   #10 
Plakattyphoon1234

I want to stock:
1 mystery snail
2-3 ghost shrimp
1-2 african dwarf frog