Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2010, 09:27 PM   #1 
Dresden

Water Dechlorination Container

Hi everyone, I would like to know what plastic materials I should be on the look out for to use as a Water Dechlorination Container (aproximatly 1 gallon with a handle) Like are 1 gallon milk jugs safe? and is there any particular Plastic Recycling number that I should be looking for/avoding.

I like to use API Stress CoatŪ as a water conditioner then leave the water to age overnight.

Thank you in advance.
Dresden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:36 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I use plastic milk jugs. Just make sure they are rinsed really well before using.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:41 PM   #3 
sunkissedinCA

i've always used a 1 gallon pitcher. and i know some people on here use plastic buckets. to be honest, i've never heard of having to stay away from certain plastics...now that you bring that up, i'm curious to see if there actually are certain kinds that should be avoided...
sunkissedinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:09 PM   #4 
Dresden

Yah I am guessing we want to stay away from the BPA (Bisphenol A) types for sure.

But does the Dechlorination process in Water Conditioners cause any other evilz to leach in certain types.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:53 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

I've never seen the point in aging water.. chlorine and chloramine don't evaporate out. I just fill my bucket.. put the prime in there and pour it in the tank. If I haven't cupped my fish for the water change (which I usually do) I will put a heater in the bucket and let it reach the temp I want it to be.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:57 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Sometimes I let mine sit overnight but that's mostly to get it to room temperature.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:01 PM   #7 
Dresden

Just realized they make 1 gallon glass carboys.

Now to find one!

Btw how does a Betta do on vino?
Old 02-28-2010, 01:16 AM   #8 
Tinthalas Tigris

I use the standard 2.5 gallon water dispensers that you purchase filled with distilled water.

I have 3 loaded with water at any given time. I cut a little square otu of the top of each one in order to aid in filling.

The main reason I like this containers, is because the water dispenser device is EXTREMELY HANDY. when refilling my tank after a water change, I ussually just let it go to a slow trickle, back into the aquarium. It allows the temperature to have a gradual transition, and gives a nice amount of aeration, and the fish all seem to love getting a "shower" to bathe in, with all the little bubbles that come from it.

My trick is to just add my dechlorinator (TetraSafe), 18 drips to the container, then fill it with tap water. I do this with all 3 containers, and let them sit for about 3 or 4 days.

I don't really know why I do this, but in my head I feel that the chlorine will get a better chance to completely dissolve away. So far the fish enjoy it, and my tank chemistry is AWESOME.
Tinthalas Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:28 AM   #9 
sperham40836

I bought a few gallon jugs of purified drinking water on sale.. used that water back when I had him in a bowl but since then I've kept the jugs (since I didn't have to rinse anything like milk out of them) and put in some dechlorinator, add water, and let sit for at least an hour before adding to the tank.. I usually try to do partial changes often and complete changes where I take him out in a cup and get out all the water, wipe down the glass, and change around the decor and clean off plants/gravel about every 3 months. He's lived over 3 years like this and never seems stressed by it. If the water temp isn't exact I usually float him in the holding cup in the tank to get him adapted instead of it being a shock.
sperham40836 is offline   Reply With Quote