Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2010, 02:46 PM   #1 
nochoramet

So, so random.

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to put the thread, but I just had to tell y'all. I was having some fun on babelfish.com and the original sentence I used was "Hello my name is Amanda and I love betta fish." I translated it back and forth between english to greek and back, english to french and back, english to dutch and back, then english to korean and back. The sentences were pretty normal, just some weird variations of verb conjugations and sentence structure until I did the Korean translation. I almost fell out of my chair laughing so hard!!! It is "Amanda where has become distinction woman bond and like vissenbetta"

Umm.. what?
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:52 PM   #2 
kuklachica

ummmm... wow, that's pathetic! You know what's sad... I am a Spanish teacher and sometimes kids (middle schoolers) think they can get away with using online translators instead of doing the work, and some of them actually WRITE THINGS LIKE THAT AS THEIR ANSWERS! They are so lazy that they think the translator is correct even though it is OBVIOUSLY NOT! Argh. Those translators can be SO wrong sometime. Even if it does actually translate it into the correct language, the sentence structure is way off!! Those are one of my pet peeves as a language teacher!!! Sorry for the rant!
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:01 PM   #3 
nochoramet

I know, it is so off! I can just imagine if you said that in the language to someone who is at least semi-fluent in the language they would be like, "Eh?" -point and laugh-. The other languages weren't so bad, such as French and Dutch, but the others, Greek, Korean, and others that I used were weird and the sentence made NO SENSE!!!! I really don't know how you get "Amanda where has come distinction woman bond and like vissenbetta" from "Hello my name is Amanda and I love betta fish." I really don't.
When I was in Spanish class, I never thought to use babelfish...hehe I guess it's a good thing I was a good student, eh?
Old 02-25-2010, 03:13 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have found that in other languages, the sentence structure isn't like ours. Like the phrase "I am going to the store" might be "I am to the store going." in another language.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:14 PM   #5 
Jupiter

That's so funny!

When i had French classes in highschool, I used a mix of online translators and dictionaries. If you're going to use an online translator, you have to actually go back and check the sentences to make sure they're translated properly. Normally they don't, that's where the dictionary comes in handy. :P
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:19 PM   #6 
nochoramet

Haha yeah, I was just noodling around on it though and it just made me laugh the way the sentence was warped. Thankfully I'm not in any foreign language classes, that is not my forte. Spanish was hard enough for me :/ But of course our "teacher" was a basketball coach and had just learned Spanish 3 years previously...soooo... he wasn't the greatest teacher.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:24 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I had German and Spanish and I thought German was a lot harder than Spanish. My older brother loved languages and even took a semester oof Russian in college.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:29 PM   #8 
nochoramet

My older brother loves them too, he wants to be a translator after he becomes an officer (he's in the National Guard) I say, more power to him.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:36 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

My dad did some translating when he was in thhe Marine Corps. He was fluent in Spanish.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:50 PM   #10 
nochoramet

My brother loved his Spanish class, so I'm pretty sure that might become his second language if that's what he pursues