Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2010, 01:17 AM   #1 
RedBetta

Tail stuck together

I noticed my red betta's tail fin is pinched together at the tip, it looks like as if someone got somthing sticky in their hair and the way their hair sticks thats how his fin looks, he will flare up and it still wont unstick. Im not sure what I should do my boyfriend think we should try and do it our selves but im to afraid ill hurt him<3
RedBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:50 PM   #2 
MermaidLex

oh! i am sorry but i have no idea all i can say is dont do anything to his fin untill you have someone elses idea on here you might rip the fin, i heard the fins are very fragile.
MermaidLex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:58 PM   #3 
RedBetta

I havent, and wont. I just hope someone can help me knowone seems to know what to do :/
Old 02-23-2010, 10:03 PM   #4 
xgoingdownx

I wish I knew what to do- does he look like he's in any pain? If you have any pictures, they may help us see what the problem may be. Hopefully someone has some good advice for you! :/
xgoingdownx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:29 PM   #5 
DragonFish

Hmm....It sounds like fin clamping from your description, which is usually caused by 1. poor water quality and/or 2. Too small of a tank.
Has he been like this since you got him? How long have you had him? How big is your tank and how often do you change the water? What are your water stats(ammonia/NitrIte/NitrAte)?
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:37 PM   #6 
RedBetta

Its a 1.5gallon. Iv had him for about 4 months and I just noticed this two days ago. I clean his tank 2 times a week.

O and I tested the water and everything looks great :/

Last edited by dramaqueen; 02-23-2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:43 PM   #7 
DragonFish

What are the stats exactly and what test kit do you use?

1.5 gallons is OK.....but a bit small. Thats probably the bare BARE minimum for a betta....I advise you upgrade to 2.5 gallons+, but thats really up to you.....
If not, bump the cleanings up to 3 times per week at least, ammonia will build up fast in such a small space...
Does he have a heater? Whats the water temp? How active is he usually?
Old 02-23-2010, 11:47 PM   #8 
RedBetta

Dont remember the exact results, I use a kit I get from petsmart. He's really active, he likes darting around and making splashes. Dont have a heater because how warm my room is. Last time I checked his water was 77 degrees. I have no problem getting him a bigger tank. Should I be doing 100% water changes, 25% or 50%?
Old 02-23-2010, 11:58 PM   #9 
DragonFish

Is it liquid dropper kit or little test strips? The strips are horribly inaccurate.....
Hmm....temp sounds fine....does it fluctuate though? And how much usually if so? Another good thing about having a heater is that it keeps the water temp stable....fluctuating temps are stressful...
Hmmm...this is indeed a tough one though. Fin clamping is usually seen, IME, in bettas who are kept in cold rooms temps in small, dirty containers where they don't have room to spread their fins and get exercise/are too cold and don't want to move anyway. Only thing I could think to do is get him a bigger tank so he has a bit more room to stretch his fins.....
100% water changes, rinsing everything in hot water to make sure theres no waste left behind :)
Old 02-24-2010, 12:03 AM   #10 
RedBetta

I normally do 100% water changes and use hot wanter to rinse everything because I feed him blood worms and I know he misses some of them. The lowest iv seen the temp was 73degrees and the warmest was 83degrees and I turned the fan on XD. I do use the test strips though, so I will start cleaning the tank more and I always put in water conditioner.

P.S he is making a bubble nest right now and making splashy noises whenever I look away >.> he doesnt want me watching him play XP