Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2014, 11:27 PM   #1 
16kehresmann

stocking a 20 gallon. .

I just recently purchased a twenty gallon tank at Petco 's beautiful DPG sale. And all I've put in it so far is ezio,3 emerald cories, and two ghost shrimp. . I'm wondering what kind of fish would make good companions for my tank. I don't want anything that could bully my betta. ..I was kind of hoping guppies but so far what I've read up about is that keeping male betta fish with guppies is a huge no no cause male guppies are so colorful. . So I would Love some Advice :)
16kehresmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:36 AM   #2 
jaysee
Reference Team

stocking a 20 gallon. .

What color is your betta? And is this a 20H or 20L
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:20 AM   #3 
16kehresmann

20 long and he's the one in my photo so he's purple, white, and black and a little tiny red under tone.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:28 AM   #4 
n25philly

I would get three more of the emerald cories, they are much happier and more entertaining in groups.
n25philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:08 AM   #5 
16kehresmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by n25philly View Post
I would get three more of the emerald cories, they are much happier anwithd more entertaining in groups.
Really? I researched and most sources said the minimum was three together... they seem incredibly happy and energetic :)
Old 04-08-2014, 09:17 AM   #6 
Sena Hansler

Minimum technically is three... But the more, the merrier! They feel so much more secure, and are less likely to get startled or scared.

Though MALE guppies are colorful and some Bettas hate that... I have personally kept them together. The endlers always "flared" which is adorable. The guppies seemed to accept the Betta as a giant guppy But this was an old boy who I raised myself, and he was relaxed with any fish.

You could do female guppies, who are less colorful. I have kept sororities or males with them without an issue. But that is only MY experience, I cannot speak for how it will go for you!

Certain Tetras are pretty common to keep with Bettas. Most of them are very relaxed, and would rather flight than fight!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:28 AM   #7 
n25philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16kehresmann View Post
Really? I researched and most sources said the minimum was three together... they seem incredibly happy and energetic :)

minimum =\= optimum. Trust me, at one point I had 4 corys in my tank and just upping it to 5 made a huge difference. It's not a necessity, just saying in a bigger group you will get a lot more out of them
n25philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:36 AM   #8 
jaysee
Reference Team

Here's the thing about minimums - there is a range of minimums depending on who you talk to. 3 is the very smallest of the minimums - the lowest of the low. I personally do not believe 3 fish constitutes a school any more than 2 fish does. The most common minimum number thrown out there for schools is 6. My ideal minimum is 9. It is my belief that if your tank is not large enough to accommodate a decent school of a particular fish then you should choose a smaller species.

And that leads me to my next point - emerald Corys are not Corys, but brochiis - a cousin. A much larger cousin. There are any number of Cory species that will do very well living out their lives in a 20 long. There is one that will not - The species you have. With good care, those fish will grow quite large - too large for your tank. Soooo, that leads to a crossroad - if you see a 4 foot tank (55 gallon) in your future, then I agree get more emerald Corys. If you don't, I would either swap them out for another species, or just leave it be, not getting more, and deal with that later.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:44 PM   #9 
Ghostie

rasboras! can't go wrong with them!
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 04:25 PM   #10 
Kasablanca

I would go with wither zebra danios/neon tetras in a group of 6 or more. I also love the platys. I've had these fish with both male and female bettas.
Kasablanca is offline   Reply With Quote