Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2010, 05:23 PM   #11 
kpullen89

I know what you mean, its frustrating when people have that kind of mindset about fish. They're living animals and bettas are especially cute..so attachment is easy with these guys.

The thing that really disgusts me is seeing Walmart bettas in cups with 1 inch of dirty water..most likely because those that work there think 'they're just fish.'
kpullen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:50 PM   #12 
FancyFins

I used to hear that from my boyfriend.. he even picked on me for giving them names.

Now he has two oscars, Griffin and Detroit LOL!He named them after towns he used to work in.
FancyFins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:52 PM   #13 
xgoingdownx

kpullen89, I agree. We told the Wal-Mart in my town about a betta that had literally an inch of water in its "tank" [I assume they think they can live safely in that!] and another that had absolutely filthy water- my dad thought it was dead, but I showed him that it was following my finger around a little.. poor baby. [I couldn't take any because we can't afford to buy everything a second time, considering the fact that I have it all with me in Richmond]

I don't know why it bothers me so much, but I swear I have to hear it everyday from my roommate and it drives me crazy. He's my baby [as I call all of my pets- at home my mother refers to me as "mama" to my cat] and I'm only trying to take care of him, no matter if he has cost me about $100 by now! [sadly]
xgoingdownx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:09 PM   #14 
Jupiter

I used to live close to Detroit. :)

I've had a friend tease me about naming my fish, too. He said there wasn't any point in naming a fish since it was just a fish.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:25 PM   #15 
xgoingdownx

What's the fun in having an unnamed fish? Granted, I rarely call Admiral Finns by his name- it's usually "buddy" or "bettar" [I haven't called him that in a while, but I did..]
Old 02-23-2010, 08:58 PM   #16 
molliefan09

my boyfriend used to be like that....he used to get made everytime i came home i came with a new fish....and he used to make fun of me for being on here so much....he calls it "fishspace" lol...but since he got his tank he is the one coming home with fish all the time and when something isnt right with one of his fish or tanks he asks me to get on here and post for some help lol
molliefan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:00 PM   #17 
xgoingdownx

I think a lot of people are that way. They have to experience it before they can know how it feels. Glad to see he changed his ways ;)
Old 02-24-2010, 04:26 PM   #18 
veganchick

I know! I get that alot with dogs, birds, lizards, cats, ferrits, rabits, and all other homeless animals I work with too. People just don't think of them as live beings. That is the reason people can eat meat. They like to think that the food they are eating didn't feel pain or suffering. Thet it was just there.
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:39 PM   #19 
nochoramet

Well I eat meat and I feel for animals. I just like to eat meat. It's good. God put animals on Earth for people to eat, or he wouldn't had made us omnivores. I still feel for animals... I'm not a beast.

And yes, I get annoyed when people say "it's just a fish" Because my fish are my babies. I cried when mine died, but it wasn't more than 10 minutes.
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:01 PM   #20 
xgoingdownx

I have to agree with nochoramet. I eat meat- although I wouldn't eat things that people consider pets. [yes, I know people consider chickens, pigs and cows as pets, but not the normal household pet] I don't have anything against vegans or vegetarians, I just can't be one.