Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2015, 04:05 PM   #1 
Sylverlilly

New betta few questions

Hi all. Im on betta number two. His tank was ready but his heater died the water was icey. The heater never had issues before. So I went to buy a new heater and ended up coming home with a betta too lol. His tank was cycled according to the tests I've been monitoring, I had help from another user. Before adding him though I checked ammonia to be double safe and it looked .25 or so. I changed his water until it was 0. Don't know why I saw ammonia show up from my empty tank. The last time I dosed with ammonia was last Friday five drops and checked a few days later to get 0. Anyway no I'm worried about his heater. His thermometer reads 78 almost 80. The new one I bought is in and plugged in. A fifty watt adjustable aqueon. I have turned between 80-84 on the dial. I see no indicator light coming on shouldn't it be on? His waters not cold but it's not 80. I'm almost done acclimating him. He came in blue water which was. A first to me so being careful with that....
Sylverlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 05:07 PM   #2 
MikeG14

Did you acclimate the heater before using it? When purchasing a new heater it's always best to put it in the water for an hour or two so that the thermostat can adjust. If you plug it right in out of the box you won't get accurate readings. I found that Aqueon heaters work best when completely submerged and place horizontally at the bottom of the tank. Unless it's a Pro model. Set it and forget it after the acclimation period. Vertical or horizontal they work great.
MikeG14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:13 PM   #3 
Sylverlilly

This one is vertical. Only the small dial sticking out. When I change his water I will mAke it horizontal. I checked it and still nothing so it's on a power strip. I moved the plug to an outlet slot labeled "master" on the end and boom orange light is on. Very confusing filter and hood light function and are in other spots. Anyway he's swimming about now no light I'm going to wait and give him pellets tomorrow after work because I'm sure he's still kind of overwhelmed. I truly hope Im able yo take care of him. I think I'm naming him Jack, like Jack Frost. Because of his color and I took him home on such a freezing winter day,bs now still on ground. I only took one pic because I don't want yo be in his face too much just yet.
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2015, 06:14 PM   #4 
Sylverlilly

I forgot I had new heater in for 30 minutes to acclimate it. That's the amount the box said.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:55 PM   #5 
MikeG14

So the orange light on the heater is lit? If it's not working to your satisfaction by tomorrow I would return it for a different brand. I found the knob on the Aqueon to be very stiff and hard to move with accuracy. It's why I switched to the Pro model.
MikeG14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:12 PM   #6 
bettacrazygirl86

I usually swear by Aqueon heaters. That's what I have in my community tank and it works wonders. That is, until I bought a visitherm. It's easy to adjust and tell what temperature you have it set to, and it heats to exactly that number. It's a little more money, but totally worth it.
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:13 PM   #7 
Sylverlilly

yes it looks like its ok now. going to be monitoring it for a while however. the adjustable thing on my old top fin heater was pain in the rear so this is a bit nicer.