Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2010, 01:50 PM   #1 
bluebettafish

Do bettas get lonely?

Hello. I moved to a new apartment about two weeks ago. I made sure the move went smoothly for my betta (it's only a couple of miles away) but I realize it can still be stressful. I used to have the tank right next to my desk and so we would face each other all the time. Now he's on the other side of the room and we don't have that same level of contact (?) anymore.

A couple of days ago I noticed that his tail is missing chunks of it but it doesn't look like fin rot. I don't know how to describe it but I believe he was biting on it.

So my question is...do they get lonely? I do know that they prefer to be alone in their tank but they seem like very curious creatures. Should I move the tank next to the desk again so I can pay more attention to him??

Just FYI, he is in a 6 gallon tank with heater and filter. NOthing about the setting has changed other than water change and the location.
bluebettafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:29 PM   #2 
kelly528

While they aren't social, they are intelligent and benefit heaps from having some moving thing to spy on from their lair. If he seems to be bored I would move him back to your desk.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:30 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Bettas are solitary fish and don't get lonely but I do believe that they enjoy some interaction. They like having a decoration of some sort to swim in and out of and they like little games like follow the finger.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:01 PM   #4 
Jupiter

I agree. I don't think they get lonely, but they can certainly be bored. They seem to love being around you, so put his tank in an area that you're go to often. I used to keep a betta on my desk by my computer, and he loved it. :)
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:26 PM   #5 
bluebettafish

Thank you all for your input! I will move him next to my desk so I can keep him company. I must be really entertaining to have around.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:13 PM   #6 
BettaSCHmacK

I agree with some of the others. They do like some interaction. Everytime i come home from work i go to the tank and he automatically swims to the front of the tank and swims back and forth and will stare at me. Its pretty cool.
BettaSCHmacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:39 PM   #7 
bluebettafish

Yeah I know the feeling...even though they might just be hungry! I think it's really sweet.

I'm going to move him next to my desk today. Not sure where but I'll make it work. This morning it looked like his fin is getting worse but still doesn't look like it's fin rot. In the meantime, I put some things in front of the tank to just give him a different view...
Old 02-24-2010, 12:46 PM   #8 
RedBetta

Thats kinda cute that they like the interaction. Mine get excited when I come home, but since theres alot going on in my room all the time hey have alot to spy on XD.
RedBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:46 PM   #9 
bluebettafish

So here's an update. I don't know if it's just me but he does look happier (he's smiling, j/k). I sometimes find him staring at me, which is very funny. His fins are healing as well. Thank you all!
Old 02-27-2010, 09:48 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm glad to hear that he's doing so well. :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote