Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2010, 06:03 PM   #1 
kuklachica

Opinions on a possible new set-up please?

I currently have these tanks and fish (all males, with dividers, of course):

20 gallon - 4 fish
6.6 gallon - 2 fish
2.5 gallon - 1 fish

For various reasons (tail biting, water conditions, etc.) I am finding it very inconvenient to have a non-portable 20 gallon, and to some extent, the 6.6 gallon. The fish in my 2.5 gallon with a Penn-Plax small world filter is doing GREAT and the filter is working the best of any of them.

To make moving around things in my house easier, and to treat various issues with the fish better, I am considering down-sizing. I am looking into getting 5 or 6 of these tanks and filters:

2.5 gallon tank: http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS...worldhabitat25

filter: http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS...discardafilter

I would use a combination of the air pumps I already and gang valves to run the filters. I would also cycle the tanks. I would put desk lamp/floor lamp next to where the tanks would be.

Here are the pro's and con's I have come up with.

Pro's: More portable, easier to treat fish if needed, can cut off a fish's view if they are flaring too much/getting stressed out, more water changes, but easier to do

Con's: not as eye-pleasing, need to buy more heaters, more water changes

Does anyone else have any pro's or con's you can think of? Or anything I haven't thought about? I think I would go bare-bottom because it would make cleaning them much easier. Or marbles at the most.

Any ideas/suggetions/thoughts would be very appreciated!!

And if I decide to do this - anyone interested in a 20 gallon tank and filter??? :)
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:23 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

*raises hand* Pick me Pick me Pick me... to bad your like a guhgillon miles away :p

Personally I like the larger tanks.. once you get them cycled they are much easier to maintain and keep stable (as far as water quality, temp, NB bacteria). Plus when your fish pass (hopefully from old old age) you can decide whether you want to stay with bettas or go with a different fish (especially in the 20 gal).

The smaller ones are good because of the reasons you mentioned but are harder to keep stablizied.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:34 PM   #3 
kuklachica

Jackie... how do you minimize the stress of seeing the other males through the dividers? I feel like I keep shuffling them around because one might be biting his tail because he sees another guy etc....

Ha! I'll be going to Hilton Head Island in April... wanna pick up the tank there?? :)
Old 02-23-2010, 06:52 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

What kind of divider are you using? (Store bought or homemade?) If you made them yourself with the plastic mesh what you can do is take another sheet and off set it from the other so its almost impossible to see through. (if thats too confusing I could probably take a picture of what I mean). If your dividers are completely see through (like the store bought ones) you can change them out for the plastic mesh... that was what cured my problem when the males in my 10 were biting.

If you do get rid of it how much are you asking? If its not too much (or free) and you have the room to lug it all the way down there I would be more than happy to pick it up. LOL I'm probably the only person with MTS that gets tanks that she can't set up :D
Old 02-23-2010, 07:00 PM   #5 
kuklachica

I know what you mean with the mesh.. that is what I am using, but my concern with using another off-set piece would be the water circulation - wouldn't it cut down on it?

I can't actually bring it down I am flying down with my husband and parents and am pretty sure it'll be too big for the overhead compartment :) But do you know of any breeders in the area!?!?! :):):)

BTW, Does MTS stand for More Tanks Syndrome??
Old 02-23-2010, 07:11 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Haha! Something like that. Multiple tank syndrome. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:37 PM   #7 
doggyhog

Multiple tank syndrome? What's that?

Oooohhhh it's having 7 fish tanks in your room! :D LOL
If I were closer.... I'd snatch up your 20g if you were getting rid of it!

I personally prefer my bigger tanks. Well, my 10 gallons. Easier to clean. Easier to do everything. BUT, my 2 gallons are pretty easy to clean. If you have a tail biter, the frequent 100% water changes are going to stress them out more. So, I'd say, stick to the 20g.

Last edited by doggyhog; 02-23-2010 at 07:39 PM.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:14 PM   #8 
1fish2fish

I don't know of any breeders in that area.. there are some in GA and some in FL.. but as far as I know not any in SC