Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2010, 10:42 AM   #1 
BeautifulBettaFish

H20

Ok so we have tap water w/ a PUR water filter ,plus im using Nutrafin tap water conditioner for bettas....my questions are
#1 should i just use plain old tap water w/ the nutrafin ,or is it better to use the PUR water filter & the nutrafin ?
it says on the bottle "makes TAP water safe for bettas"

#2 should i put water in gallon jugs & let it stand ? if so how long do i let it stand ? is this to let things in the water evaporate ,or to get the water to room temp ,or both ?

please advise ASAP as my betta is in a small container & i cant get to the petstore yet , we are totally snowed in here in ne, PA.,so i guess i should change the water more often ?
BeautifulBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:07 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

Your going to need to change the water every other day in the little container.

It doesn't really matter if you use tap or filtered.. just make sure you put the conditioner in it.

Many people say let it stand for 24 hours but I never do this.. don't really see the point. You want it to be about the same temp as the water in the tank.. I can usually feel when the tap is about the same temp as my tanks and just fill up my bucket at that temp. Since your container is little you prolly don't have a heater so I would just let it sit until its about room temp then do the change.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:47 PM   #3 
BeautifulBettaFish

Thanks so much for answering! No i have no heater either :( as soon as the roads are clear i will get to the pet shop & get a more suitable set up ...we are snowed in now....

can you mix hot and cold water from the tap ? or does it need to be cold only ?
BeautifulBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:42 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

you can use hot and cold water.. I use water that feels slightly cold to the touch. I keep my tanks at 80* which feels cold to the touch since our bodies stay at 98*. It doesn't really mater as long as you make sure it is around the same temperature as the old water before you put the fish in so he doesn't get stressed out.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:22 PM   #5 
xxabc

BeautifulBettaFish, I would actually say just try to make the temperature the same in comparison to the new water and old water. I only say this because my skin is cold to the touch. So, 80* feels warm/hot to me, and there's no "cold" feeling. Of course, this is only a personal thing
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:27 AM   #6 
reaperss06

if you have one use a thermometer for the water while its running, like the type that has the point at the end. I used that and it worked great, then I wasn't going off of what I thought was 78-82 degrees.
reaperss06 is offline   Reply With Quote