Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2010, 11:12 PM   #1 
telphora

Unhappy death = crappy way to get experience

So Oberon died and I feel terrible. I assume it's natural to feel incredibly guilty when your fish dies and you don't know what you did. I mean I tried so hard to keep him healthy and happy but apparently things didn't work out. Anyway, I probably won't get another betta for a while... which means the only thing that'll be occupying my tank is my creeper ghost shrimp.

Anyway, the point of this is I'm pretty sure I know what happened to my fish (which is why I feel immensely horrible since I didn't listen to my gut) and have a few questions so I know what's going on and I can prevent things the next time around.

1) I have an under gravel filter in my 5 gallon. Is this good enough? How often should I change water? Usually I did 50/50 every week, but I bet that's not enough.

2) After the change Oberon would be sluggish and I figure that was normal, but how many days of sluggishness is normal and when does that turn into lethargy from sickness?

3) White fuzz at the tips of fins is fungus I'm assuming: how does one treat that?

4) One thing that really bothered me with Oberon was his left fin. I meant to take a picture and post it but it's too late now. Basically his left fin was more triangular than his right. The right was your usual, round fin when open. The left was pointier and he tended to keep it to his side. What would have caused this?

I know that those last two probably caused his death, or perhaps it was that I got my creeper shrimp on Saturday and it stressed him out/had stuff on him. There's no excuse but please don't tell me the obvious: that I shouldn't have ignored these things. I feel bad enough already.
telphora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:08 PM   #2 
kelly528

Quote:
Originally Posted by telphora View Post
So Oberon died and I feel terrible. I assume it's natural to feel incredibly guilty when your fish dies and you don't know what you did. I mean I tried so hard to keep him healthy and happy but apparently things didn't work out. Anyway, I probably won't get another betta for a while... which means the only thing that'll be occupying my tank is my creeper ghost shrimp.

Anyway, the point of this is I'm pretty sure I know what happened to my fish (which is why I feel immensely horrible since I didn't listen to my gut) and have a few questions so I know what's going on and I can prevent things the next time around.

1) I have an under gravel filter in my 5 gallon. Is this good enough? How often should I change water? Usually I did 50/50 every week, but I bet that's not enough.
Yep that's just fine but partial water changes will not suffice unless the tank is cycled.

Quote:
2) After the change Oberon would be sluggish and I figure that was normal, but how many days of sluggishness is normal and when does that turn into lethargy from sickness?
Depends, but usually if a betta looks slower than normal there will be another visual sign of illness such as scratching, heavy breathing, bloating. If you ever see your fish acting 'off' always test the water.

Quote:
3) White fuzz at the tips of fins is fungus I'm assuming: how does one treat that?
It's bacterial but most medications, etc colloquially identify it as fungus. You need an antibiotic for it; I am a huge fan of the Maracyn/Maracyn 2 combo. Together they treat a broad spectrum of gram positive and negative bacteria. A good item to stock in the 'medicine cabinet'.

Quote:
4) One thing that really bothered me with Oberon was his left fin. I meant to take a picture and post it but it's too late now. Basically his left fin was more triangular than his right. The right was your usual, round fin when open. The left was pointier and he tended to keep it to his side. What would have caused this?
Sounds like a minor abnormality. I don't think it had anything to do with his death.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:21 PM   #3 
blabbermouth

u should have known betta (better)
blabbermouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:35 PM   #4 
xgoingdownx

^^ That wasn't very nice....
I'm sorry to hear about your betta.
xgoingdownx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:06 PM   #5 
RedBetta

I would get another if I were you. So you had a mishap with your first one it happens, your not alone with that. Just next time ask questions, if you see somthing that looks weird post here and someone can and will help you.
RedBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:07 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't think you had anything to do with his death. I'm so sorry about Oberon. It sounds like you did everything you could for him.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:43 PM   #7 
bettalover2033

i have a question for whoever can answer it in the most accurate answer plz...i had a betta fish that died and it died because of fungus i was wondering how do they catch fungus and my other question it how can fungus kiil them??can someone help me with that who has had experience or just knows a few facts pleaze and thank you...

BETTALOVER2033
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:42 AM   #8 
reaperss06

Quote:
Originally Posted by telphora View Post

I know that those last two probably caused his death, or perhaps it was that I got my creeper shrimp on Saturday and it stressed him out/had stuff on him. There's no excuse but please don't tell me the obvious: that I shouldn't have ignored these things. I feel bad enough already.

I'll tell you I felt pretty bad when blue died, I felt as if I didn't do everything I should have, cried for him that day. it has been almost a little over a week now and I feel I'm ready to try again with another Betta. The main thing to realize is if you loved something so much, time will heal the broken heart.

You will always remember your fish, but remember most likely it wasn't your fault unless you didn't do anything at all like water changes and such, but you did the best you could.
reaperss06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:12 AM   #9 
Romad
TFK Moderator

So sorry to hear about Oberon :(

Don't let that discourage you though. When you're ready, get yourself a new little buddy. In the meantime, keep researching and asking questions.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:49 PM   #10 
Noko

I had the same experience except I added a female to my divided tank. A male on the right, a female on the left. The one person who said you should of known better IMO is totally wrong. Sometimes you will make mistakes, but you have to remember that you can only foresee so much. As one of the french quotes I found online said: One leans by failing. Next time you won't make the same mistake. I have lost two bettas while my cousin who hasn't done a water change in months (she has a two gallon tank) still has her betta.

I wouldn't give up on betas. I said I wouldn't get another betta, but now I have four females that are getting ready to go into my tank.
Noko is offline   Reply With Quote