Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2010, 01:00 PM   #1 
RedBetta

Overly active?

My betta Reefer is REALLY really active. It seems like everytime I look over at his tank he is moving around, he flares up, dips and dives around his tank making splashy noises then after 5 or so minutes after I notice him being active he darts to the bottom and goes ot his favorite corner in his tank and rests on the bottom. Imagine how your fish gets when he see's you are about to feed him, thats how Reefer gets alot. I also think he gets upset though, sometimes because every once in awhile I think he notices one of my females thats all the way across the room, he will be looking straight at her and flaring.

As far as his setup goes he is in a 1.5gallon right now but getting moved to a 2gallon today. He is getting 100% water changes about 2-3times a week. Temp is at 75 right now. Has a fake plant in there, pebbles and some medium size smooth rocks because I notice some bettas like to rub on them, reminds me of killer whales 8D.

Is he okay or is somthing going on? He's even working on a bubble nest still that he started last night :3

Last edited by RedBetta; 02-24-2010 at 01:03 PM.
RedBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:18 PM   #2 
xgoingdownx

My betta likes to do that. I wonder the same thing sometimes- he doesn't flare too often though. :/ [won't even flare for his reflection, lol]
Right now his favorite activity is sneaking around under the plants and then scrambling to get out of the mess he got in.

I would assume that your betta is just fiesty and energetic- if he's not really rubbing up against the rocks like he's itchy or anything I would think everything is fine. They say that bettas get twitchy and stuff when they're sick- but mine's always been a little wiggly so maybe that's just their nature sometimes?
xgoingdownx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:10 PM   #3 
RedBetta

No he rubs on them just for a second I think its because they are really smooth or somthing, at least thats what I think because thats why orcas do it. Also all my fish seem to like to rub on them every so often and theres no signs of parasites or ich or anything of that sort and I work in a fish store so I know how to look for those things. I just think its alittle odd iv never hada betta as active as him like even right now he is swimming around being playful or what not.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:13 PM   #4 
doggyhog

He just sounds happy. :)
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:17 PM   #5 
RedBetta

Aww that makes me feel good then I just wanted to make sure nothing was wrong with him<3-points to avatar- he's my baby :3
Old 02-24-2010, 03:04 PM   #6 
kelly528

More hiding places and less light might make him feel at home. Also I would not consider rubbing of any sort a natural behavior. It's possible that your fish either have a protozoan parasite or something like poor water quality or a slime-coat enhancer is irritating him.

Does he rub slowly or does he appear to 'bounce off' of 'flick' against the rocks? What part of his body does he rub?
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:21 PM   #7 
RedBetta

He flicks against it i'd say and rests on it sometimes. And its like his upper tummy
Old 02-24-2010, 04:00 PM   #8 
kelly528

What kind of water conditioner are you using? Some 'slime-coat enhancers' contain an additive that irritates the fish's skin, causing them to overproduce slime coat and also making them itch.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:47 PM   #9 
RedBetta

The top fin brand. I dont think he's itchy he just seems to rest on the rocks.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:58 PM   #10 
TokyoBetta

Out of curiosity kelly what would be indicative of itching? The flicking and darting off things or slowly rubbing against them?

Also, I agree with plants/hiding spots. My fish used to be a little spastic but since I added plants he swims around way more leisurely, started building a nest again, generally seems more chilled out.
TokyoBetta is offline   Reply With Quote