Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2010, 01:41 PM   #1 
ScurvyGoat

A Few Questions

Heylo everyone! I've been lurking around here for a little while and finally decided to sign up. Right now I have three lovely little Bettas; two male and one female crowntails. The female is in a 10 gal with 3 snails and an ADF, one male is in a 2.5ish cube, and the male my mum bought last night is in a small kritter keeper. I know now that that is to small, but it's LOADS better than what he was in. I swear it was no bigger than a shot glass.

I've been feeding my female and male tropical flakes(ones that are supposed to help colour) but now know that's not very good. I have frozen bloodworms for my ADF and ACFs so I can feed those no problem, but what would all of you suggest as a good pellet food? That's one thing I've been trying to find and am failing at.

Also, how long will the new male be okay in the small KK? I have a 5.5 gallon tank I can set up eventually, as well as a 4-5 gallon KK I currently have two baby ACFs in.

Also, what type of small heater do you prefer for the smaller tanks and where can I get them cheapest? I got one from PetCo, but it was $20. I also don't need that much for the 5.5 and less.

Sorry if it's all confusing. I'm not new to bettas, but lately I've been looking into all my pets and researching heavilly. I don't trust a single word any pet store says anymore. It's disgusting.

-Scurvy
ScurvyGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:52 PM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Welcome to the forum!! I use Wardley's pellets but they have some clumped pieces that you have to break off. A lot of people use Hikari pellets and they say that the pieces are smaller and don't come clumped. Unfortunately you can't trust what any pet store employee says because 99% of the time they're wrong. Your male should be fine in the small critter keeper until you can set up your 5.5G or 4-5G critter keeper. If the critter keeper than he's in now is smaller than 1G, it should be cleaned 100% every other day.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:02 PM   #3 
ScurvyGoat

Instead of 100% every other, would 50% everyday be alright? I'd rather not uproot him entirely especially after being uprooted and in that horrible tiny cup for so long. We've never seen Bettas kept in such small cups before, and I think that was the driving force that mum got him.

Do you know if they make hoods for 5.5s? I have a screen for it as it held baby Red Eyed Tree Frogs once.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:19 PM   #4 
BettaxFishxCrazy

The thing with that is doing 50% won't get the poop out from the bottom so the ammonia would still be building up. Doing 100% you can sift through the bottom and get the poop out. They eventually get used to the water changes. Just make sure that you put him in the same temperature as the container he was in and put him back into the same temp so he doesn't go into shock. When you net him or cup him, make sure you take out everything, decorations and plants so you can pick him up quickly and not chase him around and get him more stressed out.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:08 AM   #5 
reaperss06

chasing him around is funny sometimes, but I do have to admit it does seem to stress them a little more. I did realize that with my fish, he eventually got used to me netting him and knew what was going on very fast, would squirm a little bit in the net but then be calm about it after I told him it's ok that I'm just changing his water.

It's like he knew! lol
reaperss06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:39 AM   #6 
Romad
TFK Moderator

I use Hikari Betta Bio-gold pellets. All my bettas love them and they're small and don't have clumping issues.

As for netting your fish, just put the net in the tank and leave it still for a few mins. Eventually the fish will swim right over it and you can just sneak it up underneath them. Don't chase them around the tank with it, it will stress both of you out.

Good luck.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 03:54 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Good idea, Romad. I have a terrible time trying to catch a couple of my fish.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:22 PM   #8 
doggyhog

OR, hold the net underneath a bloodworm. :P Works every time...
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:18 PM   #9 
TeenyTinyTofu

As far as a heater goes, I saw a submersible heater made by Tetra today at Walmart and said it's for 5-15 gallons, and it was only $15.
TeenyTinyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:59 PM   #10 
ScurvyGoat

GREAT news! My dad's friend gave me a 20 gallon with a light and 50W heater! I saw that someone on here divided the tank off into four sections and I think that's what I'm going to do. Right now I'm still cleaning it out. I'm gonna move my male into that and then give my mum's male the 2.5 he was in. I'm really excited about this 20. It's HUGE!

I gave my guy a very small cricket today and he went to town! I was feeding my ACFs and wondered what he would do. He stalked it for awhile, flared, and then pounced.