Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2010, 10:02 PM   #1 
kuklachica

LFS dilemma & principles

So there is a LFS that has been around for probably 20 + years. Has a large, loyal customer base and seems to really be respected among fish enthusiasts in the area. I went there a while ago and found out that they have bettas and import them directly from Singapore, supposedly (you might remember my post from sometime in Dec.). Well I went there last week to see if he would sell me something form one of his tanks so I could seed my tank that is being cycled. WOW - I totally did not expect what he told me. First, he said that I couldn't cycle a 20 gallon tank with 4 fish. Then he said he had never heard of Prime, so it must be garbage. He then tried to tell me that my API test kit was garbage and said that I needed to buy the individual tests because they were better (but still API, just individual!!?!? Come, on, seriously?). Then he told me that my tank was too big and that bettas do better in smaller tanks and proceeded to show me a 2.5 divided into 3 sections and that would be better. Seriously, I NEVER thought I would hear this from this guy. A fish store owner who is widely respected in the area??!?! Telling me this garbage??

But he just got a large shipment of CTs in and sells them for 3.99 each. I want to go look at them for the heck of it, but am torn as to whether I would buy one if there was a nice one. I would like to support small businesses over large stores, but do I want to support one that encourages bad betta-keeping?

He DOES keep his bettas in very good conditions in the store. Small jars, but clean and they have bubble nests.

What do you guys think?
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:10 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

Its a tough call. Unfortunately you can't fix stupid. Somebody on another forum told me I was wrong for taking Demetri home when all the other fish at petsmart looked so bad. According to "her/him" if I don't want to support the chain stores I shouldn't buy from them no matter how pretty the fish.

Personally if I saw a fish I really loved I would get it. Your not going to be able to convince him.. you know whats right so don't let his foolishness keep you from getting a fish you want.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:14 PM   #3 
Jupiter

Well, Petsmart and Petco generally give bad advice too. If you find a betta that you love, you should take it home and give it a good life. Just my opinion.

Those crowntails are CHEAP!
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:03 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I buy all my bettas from Petsmart. Maybe that would be seen by some as supporting the chain stores but I don't really have a choice where I buy. I can't go where ever I want like most of you who can drive. So I will continue to buy from there because I can walk there. :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:30 PM   #5 
Jupiter

I don't drive either, DQ. I take the bus. :P
Old 02-24-2010, 11:30 PM   #6 
xgoingdownx

I bought my betta at Wal-Mart [here in Richmond they don't sell fish, thank goodness, he was a sale thing for Christmas] and as much as I hate seeing them like that and supporting it, I'd much rather save one of those babies. I wish I could take a whole truckload with me but I've spent enough on just one betta. :(
xgoingdownx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:49 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I've had enough experience with buses to last me a lifetime. There were wierd people and drunks on there! I used to ride to and from college on buses.They have a bus here for people who can't/don't drive but you have to wait hours for it to come and get you. One poor lady I saw who was diisabled waited for about 3 hours at the grocery store for it to pick her up!
Old 02-24-2010, 11:55 PM   #8 
Jupiter

That's true Dramaqueen, I think it really depends on your city. The city I used to live in had a horrible bus system! The buses were always late, dirty, and had all kinds of crazies on board...

The transport system in Ottawa is pretty good, though.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:57 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Maybe things are different there than they are here. I DO have a few people here who can take me places, though.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:00 AM   #10 
Jupiter

That's good. My aunt and uncle say that if i want to go somwhere that badly, I'd drive. Which is true, but I hate driving! I'll just stay where I am. Lol.