Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2010, 07:34 PM   #1 
xgoingdownx

Adding Plants

I just received some free plants from a friend trimming her tank. I'm sure they're safe for the tank, since she uses them in hers, but I was wondering if anyone out there has any experience with them.

She gave me Stargrass, Baby Tears, Dwarf Sag, and Rotala Indica. Anyone know much about these plants?
xgoingdownx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:49 PM   #2 
vaygirl

I just got dwarf Sag. Mine are pretty big, already 8 inches. From what I understand they're normally background plants because of their size but if you have them in a low light situation they grow shorter and slower and will be better in the front of the aquarium where they sort of grow into grass.

I've noticed that most of the large leaves are dying off and new smaller leaves are growing from the center so I'm hoping that'll be the case.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:57 PM   #3 
xgoingdownx

Cool. :) I'm just glad someone I know has plants that needed pruning and was generous to give me some! His tank light stays on all day, so I don't know, if it gets too crazy I'll just trim it. I just can't wait to see how he does with his newfound forest, lol.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:04 PM   #4 
vaygirl

It'll be cool! Your fish will LOVE it. If it's the regular light that comes with the tank it's probably low light. I think bright light is like 2 watts per gallon. I'm not positive though. I have plant books and all of them are sketchy about lighting.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:08 PM   #5 
xgoingdownx

The light says it's 15 watt [tube light] that came with the tank. I have a 2.5 gallon tank so I'm not sure, but it's pretty bright to me.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:17 PM   #6 
AlexXx

The baby tears, or more commonly known as HC or Cuba is a tough one generally, it needs Co2 and high light, but it may grow fine with that much light over a 2.5 gal. its a really pretty foreground plant that can carpet beautifully. They never have it around in my LFS, otherwise id be ALL over it.

Im not sure about the others :D but good luck!
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:35 PM   #7 
xgoingdownx

I'm not sure where she got them, I wouldn't have chosen real plants, to be honest. I've never had live plants before and didn't know how to take care of them, so I was looking at getting plastic or silk at first. [but I don't turn down free things!]
Old 02-20-2010, 08:52 PM   #8 
Hadouken441

Live plants are the only way to go. Less time you have to change your water once everything is situated. Provides oxygen for the tank (always good) and it just looks so much better.

Try making a DIY co2 generator. Its works wonders on plants. I've had mine for 2 days and literally my Amazon Swords are sprouting tiny tiny new leaves.

Its not needed but it sure helps speed up growing. :D
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:03 PM   #9 
xgoingdownx

Any instructions to the DIY co2 generator? I'd like to be able to provide him with as many plants as he likes..
Old 02-21-2010, 10:23 PM   #10 
Hadouken441

Ok Ill help haha

Supplies

-Airline Hose (Ceramic is better, plastic standard is fine)
-Check Valve (Walmart, Petco, Petsmart etc)
-2 Liter bottle (with lids)
-two 20 oz bottles (with lids)
-knife/scissors
-Sponge
-Air stone (wood or ceramic, standard is fine too)

Co2 Ingredients

-1 tbsp Yeast
-1 tbsp baking powder
-1 cup sugar
-water

First Cut a hole into 2 liter bottle lid using knife. Make sure the hole is smaller than the circfumfrance than the airline tubing.

Cut the airline tube at an angle so its at a point. Pull the airline tube through the lid hole. If having trouble use pliers. Put lid back on bottle. Should look like this.

Cut airhose about 1 1/2 feet. Now get your 20 oz bottle and poke 2 holes in the lid. Run hose COMING from 2 liter bottle down through the lid and into the bottle closer to the bottom. On the other hole have the rest of the air hose coming OUT of the lid but keep closer to the lid. Fill up bottle about halfway with water. Heres Example

So the hose coming FROM the 2 liter is under the water and the hose coming OUT of the 20 oz is above the water.

Now after the hose coming from the second bottle, cut the airline again about 1 foot. Insert Check Valve. Make sure arrow is pointing AWAY from the bottle. Connect rest of hose

Not lets make the diffuser.

Cut your last 20 oz bottle in half or less (depending on you) and at the neck of the bottle, poke a hole completely through. Now take your sponge and cut it small enough so it can fit through drinking hole and run your airline through it with the sponge and connect your airstone.

Lets make the generator formula.

Well basically mix all the ingredients together with warm water (not too hot) in the 2 liter bottle and shake it up. I add the sugar first and mix that up first untill it looks dissolved then the baking soda and then the yeast.

Close caps on everything and wait!! The co2 will start coming out in about 40 mins- 1 hour and if your airstone is producing bubbles your did everything right!!

All around this cost me only like 10 dollars lol so its a great cheap way to grow plants

Keep your generator (2 liter bottle) either level with the tank of higher if possible. The 20 oz bottle with water in it is like a safety bubble counter thing. Sometimes the co2 isnt the cleanest and its better to have the bottle water catch the gunk rather than your tank catching it (personal experience :D )

Let me know if you have questions!!

Last edited by Hadouken441; 02-21-2010 at 10:30 PM.
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote