Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2010, 12:17 PM   #1 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Red face Thinking about getting a 60G and splitting it

My dad and I went to the family run pet store to get him some salt water fish and they had a 55G for sale that included everything for $350. I looked on both Petsmart and Petco's websites and I love this tank. http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...&ab=hp_lv_fish It includes everything, the hoods and the stand for $350 and it's sold in a store that's 40 minutes away from me. I was also thinking about getting a 10G to put on my dresser for my females. I'm so excited right now.lol I got a new fish today so I'm up to 20 (never thought in a million years I'd have that many)lol So I would put all of the boys in the 60G split (there's 17) and I would put my 3 girls (I would buy a couple more) and put them in a 10G. Soo what do you guys think?? Oh and would I have to buy 2 filters (one on each side) and 2 heaters (one on each side) because it's so big?
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:23 PM   #2 
RedBetta

I believe there are filters sepcifically for 60gallons and most sizes so I believe you would only need one filter. With the heater I also believe they have them for sizes but it might even things out better to put on on each side of the tank or get one that is specifically for 60gallons and put it in the middle.

Im excited to im also getting a 10gallon filtered this week or the next for my females<3
RedBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:18 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

How would you divide it? How could you see all of them?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:18 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

I'm wondering the same thing.. even though you have a lot of gallons how would you divide it to fit 17 fish while still giving them enough horizontal space.. they each need a minimum of 3-4 inches.. IMO they should have no less than 6 inches of horizontal space with 8 or more being ideal.

I think if you did divide it to get 2 or even 3 smaller filters and spread them out.. just to get maximum water flow through the dividers without throwing the fish around. I think two heaters on opposite ends would work too,
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:16 PM   #5 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Yeah, I don't think it would look too nice with 17 dividers now that I think about it.lol My sister flipped when I told her about it and my dad said my mom would never allow it. Unfortunately I still share a room with my sister and even though she'll be going off to college, she still has a say in what happens in the room.lol *rolls eyes*
Old 02-25-2010, 05:20 PM   #6 
puppyrjjkm

I think it would be cool :) My 29 gal is split 5 ways.. I'll post a picture. The boys seem fine with more vertical versus horizontal space. I don't use filters because they were always too strong for whatever fish is in that section, plus I didn't want to "cut out" part of the hood on one end of the tank. I use one heater but I found that it's warm on the top but as you move deeper it gets colder, that problem went away with the heater just placed lower. :) Hope I helped! Here is my 29 gal. Some people don't like the looks of it, but I love it :) Way easier than taking care of individual tanks for all the boys too!

puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:28 PM   #7 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Yeah that's how I would've done it. I love it with 5 bettas but I think 17 would be too much. I love your setup. :)
Old 02-25-2010, 05:35 PM   #8 
kelly528

Put fancy goldfish in it. Thats what I would do.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:48 PM   #9 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I would if I had the room and my mom didn't hate fish.lol I can't wait to move out in a couple years. I'm 21, but since I still live under my parents roof, I have to go by their rules.lol
Old 02-25-2010, 06:55 PM   #10 
1fish2fish

I agree with Kelly.. if I was able to get my hands on a 60 gallon tank I would go straight to a goldfish breeder.. but then again I've wanted fancy goldies for a long time and I could keep what... 5 goldies in it? <3 <3 I would do that or Discus
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote