Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-10-2014, 08:01 PM   #1 
Kemblain

First Time Betta Owner

I picked up one of the "baby" Bettas at Petco, and now I'm doing my best to make sure s/he survives into adulthood. I currently have the fish in a 5g tank, filtered, heated, and with some silk plants and a decoration to provide for hiding places and to disrupt the water flow.

S/he's tiny, and I don't have any frozen food. If I simply grind the marketed Betta pebbles with the handle of a knife and feed him that, will I be harming him? If yes, can someone point me to where I can get what I should be feeding him?

Is a 5g tank too large for a Betta baby? Is my tank too densely planted?
Is there anything I'm obviously missing? Also, I know it needs to be warmer than the picture with the thermometer shows, that was before I had moved him.

Kemblain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:06 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

By the looks of the fry crushed pellets definitely can be introduced. I breed, and when my fry are big enough they get their frozen bloodworms and introduction to crushed pellets. If you can find it I love New Life Spectrum brand. I use "Grow" for fry, but you can simply use the "small fish formula" which is 0.5mm size, compared to the usual 1 or 1.5mm.

The amount of décor is just fine. It'll help this little one feel more secure. The tank size is up to you - 5 gallons is just fine to me, unless you notice that this one is stressed and refuses to move much. I'd suggest baffling the filter or using a sponge filter with an adjustable valve. Many people start their little fellas out in a tank between 1 and 5 gallons.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:19 PM   #3 
Kemblain

He is definitely swimming all over the tank, he explored everywhere for the first hour or so after I placed him in it. He is staying near the heater generally though.

I wrapped a sponge around the filter intake, and stuck a portion of it on the top, and he doesn't seemed to be too bothered by the slight water flow. Would this be acceptable?
Old 04-10-2014, 08:47 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

That's perfect! That would be "baffling" the filter.

He loves that heat near the heater! He probably hasn't had any real heat for a while. Store "baby bettas" are a marketing scheme, and are usually the culls or tossaways.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:21 PM   #5 
Kemblain

How do I do partial water changes, and how often should I be doing them at this stage?

Do I simply take a pitcher or so of water off the surface and replace it with fresh water?
Old 04-10-2014, 09:38 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

The water ironically isn't usually the "nasties' that you need to remove. I suggest a "gravel siphon" which you can find in most stores that carry aquarium supplies, including WalMart. What it does is remove the debris from the bottom of the tank, along with a portion of the water. The tank will probably want to cycle on its own whether you want it to or not - which is NOT a bad thing. There should be a sticky on here I think, about cycling tanks. I suggest a 50% water change every 2-3 days, which will also promote healthy growth.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:00 AM   #7 
Kemblain

How do I do the 50% water change?
Just take a pitcher of water off the top until only about 50% of the water is remaining, and then refill? What should I do with the fish during this time?
Old 04-11-2014, 11:11 AM   #8 
Kemblain

Also, I believe his "stress stripes" are fading and he's gaining more color in the rest of his body.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:25 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

A gravel siphon is what you want to use - not a water pitcher. The gunk at the bottom needs to be siphoned out. The fish can stay in the tank during this. When you put fresh water back in, do it slowly with the pitcher (making sure to add tap water conditioner first!)

He definitely looks a lot better.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:35 PM   #10 
Kemblain

Okay, I got a gravel syphon, and I'm going to be exchanging the water after this.
I also picked up other types of edibles for him to eat in addition to the normal "Betta" pellets, including the NLS all purpose pellets, some freeze dried bloodworms, and freeze dried brine shrimp. Is there anyway I should organizing the diet, or just mixing it up?