Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-13-2014, 11:46 PM   #11 
alyymarie

Looks like a girl in my opinion, very cute! :)
I would feed her the NLS pellets as a staple food, and use the freeze-dried foods as a treat once or twice a week, they are not quite as nutritious.
alyymarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:07 AM   #12 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Good advice from Sena an aly.

I'm not a big fan of FD food <period> I'd take it back. I'm not convinced variety is as important as a high-quality staple diet. NLS is excellent.

Looks like a little female to me, too.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:49 PM   #13 
Pocketmew

NewLifeSpectrum with frozen brine shrimp is what I feed my baby betta, and my adult :). They both thrive off of it.
Pocketmew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:36 AM   #14 
Sena Hansler

I don't even look at freeze dried anymore If you can find it, frozen Mysis, frozen blood worms, and maybe even frozen brine shrimp would be really good. They are more nutritious and have a really low chance of making the little one blow up like a balloon, compared to FD which tends to do that.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:21 AM   #15 
Kemblain

So, I'm not sure what I've done wrong, but now all she does is lay in the rocks at the bottom of the tank.

She acts like she's constantly exhausted and too tired to swim. She eats ravenously, but can barely make it to the top of her tank to eat.
She also hasn't grown a whole lot, despite 2/3 daily feedings and a mildly varied diet.

I don't know what you'll need to know, but is there anything I can do now to help her?
Kemblain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:09 AM   #16 
Kim

Ok, there are 3 possibilities that I can think of:

1) Ammonia: your tank is not cycled yet, so you could be seeing the effects of ammonia toxicity. Do you have a test kit (crucial during the cycling period)? If so, what is your ammonia level?

2) Illness: she may have been ill when you brought her home from the store.

3) Bloat/Swim Bladder Disorder: does her stomach look distended? I agree with not using freeze-dried food since it can cause bloat. Bloat, in turn, can put pressure on the swim bladder (the organ responsible for maintaining neutral buoyancy).

If you can provide a bit more info about your water parameters and her general appearance that would be helpful.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:47 AM   #17 
Kemblain

I just picked up a cheap (10$) test kit, and the ammonia looks to be between 0ppm and .25ppm.

From the glaces I've gotten when she isn't sitting on the bottom or in the plants, her stomach looks relatively normal. I haven't given her anything freeze dried in a week or so, roughly since this activity started taking place.

She is pale, but not anything more than she was in earlier pictures. I don't believe I saw anything resembling a horizontal stripe.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:12 PM   #18 
Kemblain

Would a high pH level cause this sort of inactivity? I tested my taps pH and it runs higher than 7.6, the tests maximum reading.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:35 PM   #19 
Kemblain

Anyone else have any ideas?

She seems to sink right to the bottom no matter how hard she tries to swim.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:11 PM   #20 
Kim

No, a pH of 7.6 is quite good actually. It sounds like swim bladder disorder. Unfortunately, this can be caused by a number of issues including: overfeeding, constipation, internal parasitic infections, or internal bacterial infections. Is she pooping normally? If not, I'd treat for constipation first (feed some daphnia and possibly add epsom salt) before considering the more serious issues that could result in this behavior.

I would also scrap the idea of doing a fish-in cycle with a baby betta, especially one who is already compromised. With this in mind, I'd do water changes as necessary to keep the ammonia at 0 ppm. While you are treating her, you can remove the filter, set it up on a bucket of water, add some ammonia, and just let it cycle. Once the bucket cycles, you can return the filter to your 5 gallon tank and it will be cycled.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote