Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2010, 11:35 AM   #1 
BettaSCHmacK

Fat, hungry, constipated betta.

Ok. my crowntail is much smaller than my veiltail so i feed him half of what i feed my vt. so thats 2 pellets a day. 1 in the morning and 1 at night. problem is.....he shares his tank with a couple corys. when i feed the corys, he goes to their food and eats that as well. ive tried to stop him from doing it by tapping on the glass but he ignores me and continues to munch away.

hes so bloated his stomach is almost bigger than his head. ive been fasting him for about 3 days now. his stomach will get small but then he still eats the corys shrimp pellets. he floats on his side most of the time or lays at the bottom of the tank. im gonna continue to fast him, but what should i do about him eating the corys food?

anyone ever run into this same problem???
BettaSCHmacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:51 AM   #2 
glassmouse

Can you move to a tank by himself? Then you could better control his intake.
glassmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:58 AM   #3 
RedBetta

Thats really weird iv never had this issue. But you should be feeding him more than one or two betta pellets. I dont feed pellets anymore but when I did i would put five in each tank, come back a minute or so later and see who finished and give them one or two more.
RedBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:52 PM   #4 
yomissjuliette

I kinda have the same problem with my betta. I have a little red crowntail and she eats like a pig and her stomach is bloated also, i have been reducing her food from 2 pellets a day to 1 but it still looks pretty big.
yomissjuliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:09 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

They should have 2-3 pellets twice a day.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:49 PM   #6 
BettaSCHmacK

I used to feed him him 2 pellets twice a day when i first got him. I just recently started the 2 a day due to his over eating. I wish i can put him in his own tank but i dont have another one. all i have is a gallon bowl. I can put him in there, but what happens when i put him back in the tank. He will most likely continue to eat the cory's food. I'm most likely gonna get another 10g tank ready and keep the cory's in there. Hopefully my friend can get me this 20g for free he keeps talking about. That would be much much better for a school of cory's.
BettaSCHmacK is offline   Reply With Quote