Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-14-2010, 04:35 PM   #1 
Crimson

Question The thin pink line....

Hello again!

Sheesh....this is about my millionth question, BUT.....

I recently realized that my poor betta actually had fin and tail rot when I purchased him from the fish store (this store also gave me a lot of incorrect information and bad advice, so I don't think they were taking terribly good care of their bettas!), so I've been treating him with aquarium salt (I've ordered Melafix, but haven't used it yet, as the salt seems to be going well). I've also greatly increased my 100% water changes to daily or every other day, AND I've also recently changed his diet (feeding more pellets, incorporating bloodworms, and fasting once a week). He is certainly more active and happy now, but today when I was changing his water I noticed that he has a thin pink line of color on his tail that wasn't there even as recently as yesterday (Vern is mainly lavender and dark purple, but his tail, fins, and body have quite a bit of yellow mixed in as well, but no pink!). Is this a possible sign of illness or injury? He has a large piece of wood in his tank, and while it's pretty smooth, is it possible that he snagged his tail on it? Is there anything in particular that I should watch for with the pink line!

Yikes.....I sure hope my buddy's okay!!
Crimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:06 PM   #2 
vaygirl

Sometimes in fin rot, red bloody streaks will appear in their tails as well as thinning and ripping. One of mine has this now and I'm treating him with Maracyn plus (an antibiotic). I had tried aqarium salt but it had no effect. If you see more streaks appear in the next week, I'd try an antibiotic?
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:23 PM   #3 
Crimson

Thanks for the advice! Have you used Melafix?? I've read mixed things about this....some people swear by it, others think that it can actually be *harmful*! Have you tried it??

I'll keep an eye on his streaks!
Old 02-14-2010, 07:37 PM   #4 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Melafix and bettafix are two of the most controversial medications. It's up to you what you want to use. I've heard good and bad things, but more bad than good. I would start using aquarium salt first, than go from there. Some bettas can have bad reactions to medication so I always use aquarium salt before I resort to that.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:01 AM   #5 
vaygirl

I wouldn't use melafix, no. First off, it's too strong for a betta. You'd want bettafix. It's a watered down version of Melafix. Even bettafix has been reported to harm bettas by other owners.

I don't know if I'd use it on fin rot. Even though it's an antibacterial I would think if it worked at all it would be to prevent infection rather then treat it. I'm actually a member of the Melaleuca company and I use tea tree oil (the active ingredient in both) a lot. There are lots of things it can do. I don't consider it a 'cure all' though.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:13 PM   #6 
Crimson

I've been doing daily 100% water changes, and I've added aquarium salt to his tank. There are certainly no new streaks, but his current streaks do not yet seem to be improving. I have ordered some Maracyn Plus and Jungle fungus eliminator, so I will try those. How do you know the difference between fin rot and red pest? I'm not sure if his red streaks are just fin rot or if they are red pest. Do you treat them using different methods? How do you know when the fin rot is healed and the fins/tails are regrowing??
Old 02-23-2010, 10:05 PM   #7 
MrVampire181

Bettafix is 100% safe because its watered down Melafix is extrmemly risky so if you use it water it down alot and you'll be good.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:41 AM   #8 
glassmouse

Crimson asked "How do you know when the fin rot is healed and the fins/tails are regrowing?? " I was hoping some one would post a answer to that question. I too would like to know.
glassmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:28 AM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

The fins will stop getting shorter and the new growth will look clearish in color.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:39 AM   #10 
glassmouse

My betta's fin turned translucent with reddish streaks but didn't get shorter. Would this lack of shortening be an indication of a milder case of fin rot?
glassmouse is offline   Reply With Quote