Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2010, 05:27 PM   #1 
Noko

Question Introducing Sorority, any Hints?

I have four female bettas that are waiting to be put in the ten gallon tank. I just did a small water change because there was a small amount of ammonia present. All my females have been in quarintine for two weeks and they all look very healthy.

The only thing I am worried about is that two of them seem to like taunt and tease each other in their cups. The other two could care less. One more concern of mine is feeding. My dad has to feed them in the mornings (he has fish experience) but I am not sure how we should go about feeding them.

I am probably making this whole experience harder on me than it should be. I just don't want to come home one day to a betta shredded apart. They have all been living right next to each other for the last two weeks and I had a plastic plant in between every cup in order to create a small hiding place. I have them in a square formation so they can all see each other.

Any hints and tips on introducing all of them? I have been reading different things about how to introduce them. One thing says put the least agresseive on in first, wait 20 minutes, then put the 2nd least agressive one in, then so on. Another thing I read was to put them all in at once. I am getting so many different ways on putting them all in, it is making me wonder which one is the safest way.

-sigh- I make everything harder on myself than it should be.
Noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:43 PM   #2 
Chicklet

Younger females tend to adjust quicker and less aggressively,
Older females tend to be far more aggressive,
The more you add at once the more the aggression is spread out..
They will fight for rank, then things should settle down..
Also lots of hiding places should be given for safety...

I have 18 females in a 10 gallon tank, Not that I'd recommend that because I wouldn't,
I have alot of time to devote to my fish, and diligent is an asset in success..

Last edited by Chicklet; 02-26-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:50 PM   #3 
Noko

I have a younger looking female, then one in the middle, and two that are a decent age. None of them are that old I would say.

My tank has plenty of hiding spots, and I was planning on sitting in front of the tank for the first hour they are together. I figure that this way I can predict if any one is going to create problems.

I don't think I could handle 18 in any sized tank. That would drive me crazy after awhile. I am going crazy with just the four.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:41 AM   #4 
Noko

One of the girls had a big chuck taken out of one of her tail fin. Should I take her out, or just let her stay in the tank with the others? She now looks like a double tail, and it worries me. Other than that they all look okay.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:48 AM   #5 
Chicklet

That's normal,
They should have established rank by now.
I would leave her be,
I'll bet shes the more aggresive female of the bunch and has a higher standing amounst the 4 anyways
The image below shows two females that was pretty tore up, They were the aggressive girls,
The ones with less damage are usually more easy going and takes less rank.
These guys fins have all healed and re grown out since this picture

Last edited by Chicklet; 02-27-2010 at 07:57 AM.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:57 AM   #6 
Noko

She is actually the youngest one. I would say she is second in command. The two that I thought were going to be the most agressive are the perfect little girls. The one that I thought was going to be the alpha female is actually the least agressive and just enjoys swimming around. She hasn't flared once.

Three of them have fin damage and the least agressive girl has absolutley no fin damage at all.

Thanks for making me worry less! I knew some agression would be normal, and so would fin damage, but I was really shocked when I saw the one girl looking like a DT! They must of had an interesting night exploring the new tank and getting chased around by my little Hebe and Theia (young girl and alpha female).
Old 02-27-2010, 08:56 AM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I thiink that as long as there aren't any open wounds they should be fine.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:43 PM   #8 
Noko

Now one has two cloudy eyes. Earlier it was only one. She didn't have any problems with her eyes (or anything else) before I put her in the tank. Do you think it could just be stress? My last betta died a few days after I saw he had a cloudy eye. He died from columnaris so I am a little worried about her.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:41 PM   #9 
Chicklet

columnaris is highly contagious,
You need to separate her immediately,
Old 02-27-2010, 07:51 PM   #10 
Noko

I am not sure that is what she has. No cottony stuff on her.... yet. My last two bettas were in the same tank that got infected by columnaris. Both died, but I have washed the tank out, and even got new gravel and plants. Are cloudy eyes a sign of columnaris? I am currently going from page to page looking up columnaris symptoms.