Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2010, 02:22 PM   #1 
stephanieleah

betta tank mates

Hi all

I'm sure I'll have as many different information as I will posts if I look this up online, so:

What do you house with your bettas? What kind of betta do you have and what do they get along with?

I'm asking for a friend who wants a 5 gallon tank for her daughter and is (responsibly) asking for advice before going out on a whim! Good for her!

Anyway, I know her daughter loves the snails and shrimp in my tanks...anything like this would work?

Steph
stephanieleah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:13 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

In a 5 gallon, most people will put shrimp or snails with their betta.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:30 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

It really depends on the fish.. some won't tolerate any tank mate. Others don't mind them.

The only tank mates acceptable in a 5 gallon IMO are snails, shrimp, or 1 ADF.. but if she gets the ADF she needs to be prepared if the betta starts biting the AdF.. in which case she'll need to either return it or get a separate tank.

Before getting any tankmate I highly suggest she look into cycling.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:46 PM   #4 
kpullen89

I agree with 1fish2fish, it really depends on your betta's personality/aggression. 3 out of my 4 bettas absolutely hate any tank mates. But one of my mine doesn't mind them at all. So if you're trying out tank mates, I'd make sure that you have an extra tank/bowl for the tank mates just in case they aren't liked and have to be separated from the betta. :)
kpullen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:59 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

If you get tankmates your going to need an extra tank.. snails and shrimp need cycled and filtered tanks.. an ADF might be ok in a bowl but it would need to be covered. (thats if you would need to separate the betta and the tankmate)
Old 02-27-2010, 01:51 AM   #6 
Hadouken441

ADF's are champs. They're personalities are awesome haha. Mine literally sits on its butt like a human while i feed it. And the other one sticks his head in my turkey baster and just waits for the food to come out
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:04 PM   #7 
stephanieleah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadouken441 View Post
ADF's are champs. They're personalities are awesome haha. Mine literally sits on its butt like a human while i feed it. And the other one sticks his head in my turkey baster and just waits for the food to come out
that's super cute...

i might suggest an ADF. She'll def be getting a filtered tank. Any particular snails and shrimp that y'all have had success with?
stephanieleah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:02 PM   #8 
1fish2fish

Filtered is different from cycled... make sure she knows the difference. You can't just put a filter in and let the tank cycle unless you want sick and/or dead fish.

Mystery snails are great but can get up to 2 inches in diameter but come in a bunch of different colors. Nerite snails stay a little smaller and are more plain, you can also get Zebra snails who are basically striped Nerite snails. They also need calcium rich water for shell growth. You can only keep one in a tank or they may breed unless you can figure out males from females.

Ghost shrimp and cherry shrimp are very small so you can have quite a few... but they are very sensitive to water conditions so her tank HAS to be cycled before adding them or they'll die within days. Amano shrimp are slightly larger but have basically the same requirements.

ADFs are fun but more "fishlike" than snails or shrimp.. they move faster and thus are much harder to place with a betta. I always advise to go with shrimp or snails first to see how your betta reacts to them before trying an ADF.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:43 PM   #9 
kpullen89

Just to add info about the mystery snails..they're hermaphrodites(meaning they have both sets of repro organs) so if you place 2 in the same tank there is definitely a chance that they'll reproduce.

Mystery snails are the tank mates that I have for one of my bettas. There's two of them and so far, I've had no baby snails..but you never know!
kpullen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:51 PM   #10 
1fish2fish

Where did you get that info? Mystery snails have separate sexes.. they aren't asexual. As do zebra/nerite snails. Since they do have separate sexes it is easy to keep from having snail babies running around simply by having one to a tank or learning the proper way to sex them (which is quite hard to do)

Asexual snails don't need a partner to reproduce.. they can essentially mate with themselves.