Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2010, 03:44 PM   #1 
pretzelsz

Unhappy Scary Water Change

So I was changing the water in the tank...Now when I change it(about once a month) I put him in a clear tub which he came in. But today the cup wouldn't get enough water so I had to use a mug. After I got the mug out he didn't want to get in so I tried to trick him by putting a pellet in. He goes in takes the pellet and before I can lift the mug he swims out. So I try again and he goes in and I lift it up in time. It's funny I always worry about fish jumping out of the water(like a phobia) so I put some index cards on top...Then I though it must be dark in there so I opened it a crack and pointed the light in it alittle. I change some water put it in a bucket and go to dump the bucket and put new water in. When I come back Fudd is flopping on the table so I scramble for my net to get him off and he doesn't want to go in the net. So I get him cornered and he goes in the net and I quickly put him in the mug and put the flashcards on top and finish filling the tank(wait there is more and gets funny) so after the tank is filled I quickly put him back in and at first he is swimming into the net and then he finally realizes he has to go the other way and does. After he was in and I got the lid back on he started attacking the heater and flaring his gills at it. He NEVER has flared his gills at me but the heater is another story lol. Very very very scary moment for me. I might upgrade the tank to a 5 or 10 gallon after I get the basics of my SW tank up.
pretzelsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:35 PM   #2 
FishmanPA

I actually had the same thing happen during a tank project. Only it was my Bala Shark who jumped out of the water. I got so freaked I grabbed him with my hands off the carpeted floor and put him back in the tank. I thought for sure he wouldn't last more than a day or 2 after that ordeal, but turns out he was fine. That was about a year ago!
FishmanPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:46 PM   #3 
doggyhog

Oh that would be soooo scary!! I had one that did that once! Also, when I got ghost shrimp (all in are in my bettas bellies by now. LOL) one of them jumped out of the net as I was transferring it to the tank and I FREAKED OUT! I did NOT want to touch it. LOL they look so gross out of the water so I scooped it up with a piece of paper. :)

BTW, you should be changing your betta's tank much much more then once a month, The 2 gallon should be changed at least twice a week. 100%.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:53 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I knocked Fernando off of my dresser and the poor thing went under my dresser. I didn't want to touch him for fear of hurting him but I finally got him back in the water. He didn't suffer any injuries, thank goodness!!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:11 PM   #5 
pretzelsz

I lied it is biweekly 50% change. 100% twice a week you say? Didn't know they were that much work I'll try twice a week. I have plants in the tank so that makes it hard to do 100% water change but if I put a sponge filter or upgraded to a larger tank and put a filter in would I be able to do less water change? It's been about a month or 2 since I got him and this seems to work for him so is that ok? Also he is still flaring his gills at the heater Makes me laugh like pouting in the corner
pretzelsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:18 PM   #6 
doggyhog

Assuming the 2 gallon isn't cycled, 50% changes don't do that much... I do my 2g twice a week, just scoop the fish in a cup and dump the water, rinse everything off, fill it back up and then acclimate the fish. Takes about 10 minutes for me to do both of mine. (not including acclimating them)
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:27 PM   #7 
FireKidomaru

I have had that happen before.... I was tryn to get an old fish into a little cup, I got him in the net and my friend was holdin the tank..... I then relized once i had him in the net i didnt have a cup ready well he was floppin around and my friend freaked out and moved the tank.... grrrrrr..... I tried to put him back in when she moved it and he fell on the floor! I picked him up by hand and managed to put him back in the tank... Soooooo scary I know how you feel
FireKidomaru is offline   Reply With Quote