Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2010, 05:36 PM   #1 
shemetz

Post Help!

MY DAD WILL ONLY GET A BETTA IF I SET UP THE TANK AND ARE RESPONSIBLE.how CAN I SET UP THIS MEDIUM SISED FISH BOAL BEAUTIFULLY AND SAFELY?
shemetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:40 PM   #2 
xgoingdownx

It would be best to get a tank, not a bowl. You'll need at *least* a 2.5 gallon tank, preferably with a heater so you can keep the temperature at a steady 75-80 degrees. What supplies do you have so far?
xgoingdownx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:46 PM   #3 
shemetz

I HAVE rocks.gravel,a caramic thing fror hiding in anda tank. i ment tank not boal.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:54 PM   #4 
xgoingdownx

Make sure the ceramic decoration doesn't have any sharp spots or edges on it, as bettas can rip their fins easily on those things. You might want to look into getting a few silk or live plants for him to hide in, because they like those too.

How big is the tank? Depending on how large it is will determine how often you have to clean it, how hard it will be to keep warm, etc. It also might be a good idea to get a filter [once again, depending on the size of the tank]- but you have to get a low-flow filter so the betta doesn't get sucked up into it. [Mine's pretty low intensity and my betta's fins still get caught in it every so often if he gets too close]
Old 02-25-2010, 06:11 PM   #5 
shemetz

our tank is to small so we are going to petco to get a bigger one and a plant tomarrow. and the caramic thig does not have any sharp edges at all.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:30 PM   #6 
xgoingdownx

Good, like I said, you may want to get a small heater while you're there, I have a 2.5 gallon tank with a heater that I got from PetSmart that was made for 3 gallon and under tanks. [it works really well, his water stays around 80 degrees constantly]

What kind of food do you have for your betta? Most people stick to pellets, but bettas like variety. I feed mine two-three pellets in the morning and a few flakes at night. I give him bloodworms as a treat on Fridays at night instead of flakes. [Make sure you buy betta pellets and tropical fish flakes- not goldfish flakes.] Bloodworms are meant as a weekly treat only, because they contain high amounts of protein and can bloat your fish or make him constipated.

When it comes to the plant, if you buy a plastic one make sure it also doesn't have sharp edges. I made that mistake and my fish ended up ripping his fins on it while flaring one day.

Hopefully all of this is helpful!
Old 02-25-2010, 06:55 PM   #7 
shemetz

yes thank you for the tips they are very helpful and i will rember all of them and i will post a pic of my new betta soon
Old 02-25-2010, 09:38 PM   #8 
Romad
TFK Moderator

good luck :)
Romad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:48 AM   #9 
shemetz

Post thanks

thanks