Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: Which Option should I go with?
Option # 1 4 80.00%
Option # 2 1 20.00%
Option # 3 0 0%
Other.. if so what? 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2010, 06:04 PM   #1 
1fish2fish

Opinions?

One of my mystery snails died today (r.i.p Felix). So I have to go get Damon another tank mate. Damon (I think) is a boredom tail biter so he is one of the few fish that actually benefits from having a buddy. I'm just trying to decide which tankmate to choose so I need y'alls opinions.

Option #1: Another Mystery Snail... I love these little guys but they technically over stock the 3 gallon tank Damon is in. Luckily the eclipse 3 filtration is excellent and I do 2 50% weekly water changes so its not too much of a problem. I would either get a white ms or a blue ms.. I already have a gold and a black one.

Option #2: 2-3 Ghost or Cherry Shrimp. I plan on getting these for my big tank once I get it planted but I think they would look nice in my 3 gallon as well. I would only get the cherry shrimp if my LFS has them (no ordering offline). With these I would only have to do 1 50% pwc a week because of their low bioload.

Option #3: I could switch Damon (3 gallon) with Demetri (4 gallon) and get Damon an ADF. The only problem is I think Damon might nip at the frog.. in which case I would put the frog in my big tank with mellow old Fish and look for a different tank mate for him.

So what do y'all think? Normally I would just let Damon have the full 3 gallons to him self but he likes having a "pet".
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:26 PM   #2 
doggyhog

I say option 1.

Or option 2. I say option one as the first choice because if you get cherry shrimp, odd are, he'll eat them. Cherry shrimp are NOT cheap. Ghost's are, but yeah, it might give him some entertainment chasing and eating the shrimp, or he might get stressed by them.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:52 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

I don't think he would be stressed by the shrimp (the frog maybe). I'd be more worried he would stress the shrimp LOL.. I like the snail because they're pretty indestructable against Damon's wrath... the only problem is the added water changes and trying to feed them without damon eating the snail food.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:03 PM   #4 
kuklachica

What about putting him in a divided tank so he can see someone else? Like my yellow guy who liked seeing Wally and got all stressed when he was gone... maybe he'd like to see a friend too?
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:35 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

I'm considering that.. but its kind of hard to see the other guy in my divided tank.. I think I'm going to try that though just to see if it works.. since Blue Jeans is in the hospital bowl right now it will give damon a trial period and see how he likes it in the divided tank.