Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2014, 05:28 PM   #11 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

His tummy in the pictures are a great "after-feeding" tummy size even a little larger is fine so don't worry if the tummy get's big; that's kind of the point! ^_^ Loving her coloration too!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:28 AM   #12 
Kaffrin

Day 4:

The water seems to be turning cloudy- unless I'm just paranoid.

Either way, I'm probably going to do a super tank cleaning today. Gonna clean 3 5g's and disinfect a 1g. Then move the betta(that's in the 1g) and move him to a 5 along with ADFs that will be removed from my 10. Then... place the lil' guy in the 1g for more swimming space. The distortions on the vase is driving me crazy! Can't imagine how he sees things properly in that.

Now, I keep saying "he"... I don't actually know the gender for sure! I assume it's a "he" since he's never shown me stress stripes.

Gosh, I hate cleaning tanks. I feel like I don't disinfect them well enough! I usually just dip a sponge in distilled white vinegar and scrub all the sides-> wait a few minutes -> rinse/dry.

Last edited by Kaffrin; 04-16-2014 at 09:39 AM.
Kaffrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:37 AM   #13 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Stress stripes have nothing to do whether it is a girl or boy, they all have stress stripes. I look for the ovaries which can be difficult to spot on more opaque Bettas that you can't see through. Then I also look at the fins and the body as a whole; your girl has shorter fins that normal for a boy her age which hints then for a girl. Also her eyes are smaller which usually denotes a girl as well but that's not a real way to sex, just a trait that occurs more often than not.

Cloudy is probably just a bacterial bloom, that happens for new tanks regardless of filter or not.

For disinfection I use a diluted bleach solution 1:19 parts and after it no longer smells like bleach in rinsing I let it air dry for a while and then I use either 70% or 91% Rubbing Alcohol to spray on everything needed to be disinfected and then rinse very well and let air dry. You should no longer smell bleach or alcohol on the tank/decor. I can write up a more detailed instructions if you like.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:43 AM   #14 
Kaffrin

Ohh, that would be fantastic if you could!! I actually have no idea the age of this one. If size helps at all- size is actually a little less than an inch(ignoring fins). He/she just looks big because I zoomed in quite a bit^^~

Last edited by Kaffrin; 04-16-2014 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:05 AM   #15 
Kaffrin

Sorry for double post :I grabbed a ruler and he's/she's about 2.3cm including fins

Last edited by Kaffrin; 04-16-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:03 AM   #16 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I was comparing her to the thermometer and then comparing my own babies. And yes, when you measure Bettas you measure from "nose" to peduncle which is the end of the body; beginning of tail since tails can vary so much in size, width, shape, etc. And I've seem to have misplaced my disinfecting directions, I'll write them up again so just remind me to do so later!
Old 04-17-2014, 12:24 PM   #17 
Kaffrin

Day 5:
Oh, alrighty! I just dumped vinegar and water and scrubbed the sides down and rinsed. I let it dry in the sun and then washed it again the next day.

Aaaaand....I do believe I see an egg spot~ (Unless I'm just crazy, then never mind!) Probably going to move her to the 1 gallon today when I muster up the courage to pour her into it. I don't have a net(I'd be too afraid to net her, anyway! lol) Lil' ones seem too fragile to move around >.<

Anyway, I finally caught a picture of that lovely tail~

And here's that kink I mentioned before

I don't think it affects her movement at all- she zips around no problem!

Last edited by Kaffrin; 04-17-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:26 PM   #18 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Ah yes, I had a girl; Little Blue that had the same kink. it's a deformity but it doesn't really affect them adversely.

Egg spots are not a reliable way to sex as many young boys also have fake egg spots and more than half the time they keep them after maturity as well! So the only reliable way is to look for ovaries.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:11 PM   #19 
Kaffrin

My goodness, sexing is so tough for the untrained eyes, then :C

I actually ended up cracking the corner of my 1 gallon... I dropped a 5 gallon on it. So I used some 2-part adhesive that said 'waterproof' and will be letting it sit until tomorrow! I'll probably fill it up and see how it goes before stocking it~

I also have to figure out how to set up an avatar later! For some reason it keeps giving me an error.

Lastly.. my 10g just became a farm for brown algae(at least that's what I think it is) My poor anubias, their tops are completely covered in brown muck :/

Last edited by Kaffrin; 04-17-2014 at 07:20 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:18 AM   #20 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, sexing can be quite difficult and of course it doesn't help that it seems Betta's are just out to trick us all! lol What might look like a girl could end up as male later!

For avatar's you need to have it a certain size, it gives you the limit on the "Edit Avatar" page. So that might be a thing.

And yeah Diatom's are annoying, definitely not the worst algae you can get! Just keep rubbing the leaves of the brown algae so they don't get choked out and in a few months time the Diatoms will burn themselves out and likely will never return as long as that tank is running fine.