Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2014, 04:38 PM   #21 
Kaffrin

Day 6:

I pretty much dumped her into the 1 gallon( I'm so freaked out that she'll die from the stress of the move!) Gosh, I always have bad luck with "moving day" for fish. I remember my old betta Kai- I did a drip acclimation in a lil' floating cup.. Next day I find out he committed betta suicide and wedged himself between the wall and the filter and promptly drowned. That day taught me never to have anything that will let bettas wedge their bodies into >.>

Kai(RIP :c) and his old ADF buddies that were just moved from the 10g into a 5g!

Pic of the new home:

The silly lil' one is such a scavenger- she's trying to eat her own excrement, cute but a bit gross! lol
Say hello to my brown tank!

Last edited by Kaffrin; 04-18-2014 at 04:45 PM.
Kaffrin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:02 AM   #22 
Kaffrin

Day 7:

Eeep! The one week hump has been reached! Hopefully the lil' ones strong health will be consistent for the ongoing years~

Going to PetCo today(It seems I've become a regular there for the weekends, oh dear :3) Going to exchange my NLS all-purpose for small fish formula as I for some reason didn't notice until just now. Maybe even snatch up another betta if I see a cutie that's willing to go home with me.

I've been seeing some funny behavior lately. She's been pecking at the anacharis as if there's something she can eat on it! Her color also seems to have come back- it faded a bit after the move yesterday.

I also need to siphon out all the gunk on the bottom of the tank. I can see the dust floating in my room that's fallen in it, LOL. Makes me want to dust my room!
Old 04-19-2014, 10:11 AM   #23 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

The pecking is normal for all fish as there ARE little buggies on the plants generally that they will eat! Sometimes they'll even nibble on a little bit of algae but no worries, it's just veggie for their diet ^_^
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:30 PM   #24 
Kaffrin

Mini-update:

So, they didn't carry small fish formula :c total bummer. I saw the betta shelves and boy was it disgusting as heck. Green water with everything either dead or ill! I DID however see a baby that was swimming around actively which I brought home with me. I will not be posting pics until I see it at least get through the night(I hope so). Funny thing, (I think it's a he, big black eyes) he was pale white with a fat stress stripe and I placed him into a heated tank and he turned a dark color in a few minutes! He seems to be flaring at my female baby- I will be placing him in his own bowl when I get it at the temperature I want as I don't have an adjustable heater(euuugh, I have to play with water levels until it's 80-82)

Also, I saw a pleco that was being returned! Wow, it was 8 inches- I should've taken a pic~
Old 04-20-2014, 05:40 AM   #25 
Kaffrin

Day 8:

Alrighty, the new addition is sick(not sure what yet). He's just spitting out his food and has some nicks on his fins. It doesn't seem like fin rot, though. I dissolved a few crystals of AQ salt in the water. He is swimming around a bit actively- certainly not zipping around like his "sister" is! He's still quite pale but it's much better than he was yesterday. I currently have him in a vase that is 83-85.

The usual sprig of anacharis for him to play around with if he's bored~

I say "sister" since they seem to look pretty much the same compared to the day I first got both! I wonder if they're from the same batch or something o-o

She is coloring up quite beautifully! Like a lil' cherry~ She eats quite well, now.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:19 PM   #26 
Kaffrin

Day 9:

So I splurged and bought a heater for my 10g along with a test kit. Eeee~ It's cycled- I think! However, my PH is very high (8.4) no idea why.

Anyway, the babies are doing very well- I hope I don't jinx that :c. The newest baby addition is beginning to have a better appetite which makes me glad and the oldest is a fat piggy!

I was going to pick up a java fern until I saw the betta section(I seem to have come down with the betta fever). A halfmoon for 6$- what a steaaaaal with his looks! I will post a picture tomorrow once I get my camera working and all the junk out of the way. I do believe in the future if all these lil' ones grow up the 10g will be split into 3.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:01 PM   #27 
BlueLacee

Location: Colorado Rockies, the Land of Skiing, Festivals, and Incredibly Rich
Exiting, exiting. Good luck
BlueLacee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:33 AM   #28 
Kaffrin

Day 10:
I didn't want to force the new arrival to flare- so I just snapped one as he was close to the front of the tank. He seems very lethargic and spits out food. Hopefully a few days of rest will perk him up! Also, don't mind the algae!

This girl is developing such beautiful colors~ She's totally a brawler- if she gets a glimpse of any fish she goes crazy! Whereas the others are just "whatever.." That's why I have pieces of paper surrounding her tank.

Lastly, this boy seems to be developing vertical stripes. I wonder why that is. I also had a scare with him last night. I woke up in the morning to see the water had reached 87 degrees. Switched out the heaters between those two babies immediately. Figured it would be better in a 1 gallon than the .5

He also seems pretty skinny, I've been trying to fatten him up. The color is beginning to develop nicely in him.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:24 AM   #29 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Vertical stripes are known as Breeding stripes however in babies and fish who are not avidly breeding, they are submission stripes. They usually display them when they become submissive to another fish, alternatively if they do not run and hide but rather stand up to the other fish (can be their reflection), they are trying to be the 'alpha' and tell the other fish to back off :) Babies can change their stripes on a dime from vertical, horizontal and then regular color!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:15 PM   #30 
Kaffrin

Day 11:
Nothing new here! The new adult male seems to have perked up a wee bit. I want to start him on eating but all he does it float to the top and sit there. At least he's swimming around every so often.

The two babies are doing well- trying to stuff 'em with food to fatten them up.