Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2010, 10:23 PM   #1 
kpullen89

Question I don't get it.

As we all know, betta fish love to have SPACE! So why is it that every pet store's 'betta homes' are ridiculously small? 90% of the ones that I've seen are cute LITTLE tanks/bowls. And they're labeled FOR bettas! I have coffee mugs bigger than these things!! Everyone has seen what I'm talking about, I'm sure. I just had to vent about it. It's things like this that mislead new betta owners, and its not fair to these fish.

My boyfriend tried to argue with me that those tiny habitats are perfect for bettas just cause it has a betta picture on the box! Grr! I'm glad he doesn't own any bettas. Of course if he did, I'd teach him better.
kpullen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:28 PM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I know, I always wondered about this too. People think that they're happy in small tanks or bowls because they can live in 'puddles'. It's a huge misconception and I wish I could do something to ban those small tanks and bowls. Not to mention that the employees don't research anything about bettas and would sell you a smaller tank even though the bigger tanks are more expensive and they should be getting you to spend more money. So stupid...
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:30 PM   #3 
kpullen89

Haha yeah bigger tanks = more money! That makes sense! I totally agree with you.
kpullen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:09 AM   #4 
ScuitoAmi150

The "puddles" they originally lived in, are about the size of my room. Clearly those "puddles" hold over 10g of water.

I think one of the reasons they sell the small tanks is because a lot of parents buy their little kids bettas when they want a fish (thankfully my parents made me keep my goldfish in a 5g minimum). It is something tiny and easy to clean, therefore the parents think it is the perfect stepping stool for teaching them to care for a pet.
ScuitoAmi150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:52 AM   #5 
Romad
TFK Moderator

And think of how many more bettas they sell when they keep dying in those little tanks.

Grrr!!
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:41 AM   #6 
Bad Fish

Hello;
I have a story...4 weeks ago my wife and I were poking around some stores to kill some time...we went in to this pet store and my wife saw this red Betta in a half round one gallon tank with red and clear stones with a little plant in it [fake] that had some flowers..she looked at me and said wouldn't that look good on....well you got the picture.....and so the little red Betta wouldn't get lonely in one of those little round $2.00 bowls ya can get at Wall-Mart was a second male Betta...so we got him also....I knew that once my wife did some history they would have to be in lot bigger tanks....the next day the wife and her girl friend went to Pets Mart and she bought 2 females and they were in one of those little $2.00 round glass bowls....when I got home I explained to her that these fish need lots and lots of surface area...so she went to the book store and got some Betta books....are ya ready...4 fish about $12.00 now cost me about $150.00 with all the stuff necessary to provide a good home....IF where we got the first fish the guy would have explained that these fish needed more space I would have planned things a lot better....at one time I raised Kelli fish...they all did just fine in 2.5 and 5 gallon tanks and the breeding was all done in plastic shoe boxes...70 of them.....from me not doing the history which I thought Betta's were about the same as Kellie's I came to a rude awaking all because the pet shop owner didn't say and due to the fact I didn't say Lets look into it.. so my friends before you buy do some looking into it....OH yea after this I told the wife "just because your cute don't mean you can take advantage of me".... we have been married for 35yrs
Bad Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:41 AM   #7 
kuklachica

I brought in a picture of my divided 20 gallon and divided 6.6 gallon to the manager at my Petco (which is pretty good as far as the stores around here go). I told her imagine how much more money you could make if you showed people those pics and what you CAN do with bettas!
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:41 AM   #8 
BettaxFishxCrazy

That's a great idea kuklachica! What did the manager say?
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote