Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2010, 12:27 AM   #1 
Dresden

Smile SanFrancisco Bay Brand Brine Shrimp Shrimpery Kit

Hi, is anyone using one of these SanFrancisco Bay Brand Brine Shrimp Shrimpery Kit ?

I am assuming this is safe food for a Betta. :)

Thank you in advance.
Dresden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:46 AM   #2 
kelly528

I've seen it but knowing I can make the same thing myself out of a pop bottle for $1 I wouldn't buy it.

Also some bettas can't 'see' BBS. They are very very VERY small lol.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:11 AM   #3 
Dresden

$1 pop bottle? please do tell! :)

btw that a yankee or canadian dollar?

From what I can tell in the description it comes with this which is a $4.55 value so the shrimpary is only like $7. Can't even buy a bottle of red for that!

Last edited by Dresden; 02-27-2010 at 02:15 AM.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:02 AM   #4 
Kittles

I'd imagine the implication was that you could make the same from everyday objects. Keep the $7 - Yankee, Canadian, whatever currency it may be.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:21 AM   #5 
Dresden

Wink

Hmm I donno, I'll have to have a look at the kit too see how clean/pro lookin it is. If I have to buy glue, hosing or any sort of mickey mouse stand for this bottle contraption, savings seem so trivial. I am not really big on the DIY bit unless the savings are significant. :)

If the Kit has glowing led's, shiny buttons, beeps, talks, is a chick magnet or washes dishes and cooks, I am so sold!

Anyone got pictures of their home grown Shrimpery setups?
Old 02-28-2010, 10:22 PM   #6 
GawfFish

Shrimpery as chick magnet = AWESOME chicks
GawfFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:53 PM   #7 
kelly528

I will have to put a picture of mine up.... basicaly all you do is cut the bottom third off of a 2L pop bottle, invert the top and sit it on the bottom so that the bottom acts as the 'stand'. The neck of the bottle is at the bottom of the shrimpery and you an put an airstone in there to 'blow' the eggs to the top and keep them circulating. Simply place a light over top and voi-la. Shrimpery.

The drawback to this stunt is that in order to be worth it

a) You have to have an air pump handy
b) Shrimperies have to be expensive (ie $16 in Canada lol).

But if, say you get a pump, airline and an airstone for $10 and the pop bottle is $1 it's worth it!

Also, not sure how well these commercial shrimperies actually work. Shrimp eggs tend to get caught in the corner of square conteiners where they don't circulate and therefore don't hatch. Also, in a plastic bottle shrimpery more light and warmth can penetrate which is the key to high hatch rates.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:24 AM   #8 
truthequalslies

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly528 View Post
I will have to put a picture of mine up.... basicaly all you do is cut the bottom third off of a 2L pop bottle, invert the top and sit it on the bottom so that the bottom acts as the 'stand'. The neck of the bottle is at the bottom of the shrimpery and you an put an airstone in there to 'blow' the eggs to the top and keep them circulating. Simply place a light over top and voi-la. Shrimpery.

The drawback to this stunt is that in order to be worth it

a) You have to have an air pump handy
b) Shrimperies have to be expensive (ie $16 in Canada lol).

But if, say you get a pump, airline and an airstone for $10 and the pop bottle is $1 it's worth it!

Also, not sure how well these commercial shrimperies actually work. Shrimp eggs tend to get caught in the corner of square conteiners where they don't circulate and therefore don't hatch. Also, in a plastic bottle shrimpery more light and warmth can penetrate which is the key to high hatch rates.
i heard you need to add salt because brineshrimp are saltwater shrimp is that true? if so can i just use aquarium salt?
truthequalslies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:43 PM   #9 
kelly528

Yep just plain old aquarium salt will do the trick... I always pre-mix some 'shrimpwater' in a milk jug so I have some handy all the time.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:53 PM   #10 
truthequalslies

awsome this will help so much with feeding my adf and gobies and when i get everything setup for breeding thanks kelly ^-^ also what do the shrimp eat? i had seamonkey food but idk where it went
truthequalslies is offline   Reply With Quote