Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2007, 09:28 PM   #1 
Andyandsue

2 Male Bettas With Divider. Good or Bad?

I am NOT planning on doing this, but I'm wondering about your opinions on keeping two male bettas in a tank with a divider so they constantly display. I am thinking, and I could be wrong here, that it sounds stressful for them to be in "fight mode" all the time. Maybe they get used to it?
Andyandsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:36 PM   #2 
Rue

I think it's cruel...

...having them display occaisionally is likely good for them...but NOT all the time...
Rue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 12:44 AM   #3 
musho3210
Banned

yeah probably stressful, theres also the risk of one of them jumping into the other side and killing/attacking the betta
musho3210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 05:42 AM   #4 
sazzy

ehem...
i have done it in a 10Gal tank, each fish had 5Gal and the tank was heavy planted for making them feel safe. :D
the guys we're fine once they got used to there neighbour!

i have seen little traps you can buy to keep several males in, now they should be banned!! they look so cruel
sazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:27 AM   #5 
Andyandsue

But I guess it's not much worse than those little cups that they keep them in at PetSmart/Petco? I've found PetSmart's to be worse. The really pack them in and the air holes are small... they look more like inventory than live creatures. I almost bought another betta today just to save another one.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:33 AM   #6 
GalaxyGirl

I think it would be fine, personally I would heavily plant the tank and make sure there were plants covering the divider. When I get my 20 I plan on putting my two bettas in there, but on opposite ends =P And yes, those little plastic cups are EVIL. I saved my last betta from Petco, it was touch and go for awhile but hes good and healthy now.
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:48 AM   #7 
SinisterKisses

I've done the divider thing before in a 10gal. After a couple days they get used to having a "tankmate" and don't always display, they swim around and live normally for the most part. I've had tons of bettas in tanks by themselves where they spend a lot of time flaring at their own reflection anyway.
SinisterKisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:56 AM   #8 
basicloser

It all really depends but I would have to say no. I know that I am pretty new around here so my opinion may not matter but even with heavily planted areas if they could see each other it would likely cause them stress. The reason that I say it depends is because some betta aren’t that aggressive. Some people put mirrors in front of their betta every once and a while to get them to flair as they believed it is healthy for them too every now and then (I agree) but the one that I had couldn’t care less. He looked at it and leasurly swam away. But you see some that go buck wild as well.

As for the cups, they are bad but I don’t see how they really fit into this conversation. If you are talking about them being able to see each other I still don’t think it applies as the fish in cups are so lethargic from being in such a small unfiltered area for so long, and I assume they may be exhausted from flaring at one another at first.

Also, I’m not trying to start any fights here as this is all my opinion but if you are buying a fish from a pet store, you aren’t really ‘saving’ it. To me saving it would be taking it away from a person that was mistreating them. By buying them you are just encouraging the places that sell these betta in the poor conditions to continue to get them and keep them the way that they are. They don’t care if you are doing it for a moral reason or not, they are just getting what they want. So really you are/aren’t saving it as it could die in the cup or even go to a bad home…but you are still encouraging pet stores to keep them in these less than optimal conditions. And if you have them in (as per your signature) a 1 gallon (I assume US gallon…and I don’t know the difference between UK) then you still haven’t provided it with a great home.

Also it is possible that this ‘getting used to the tank mate’ might because they are exhausted and stressed over flaring at it all the time…

Again, I’m not trying to start any fights or attacking anyone, just expressing my opinion.
basicloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 02:41 PM   #9 
Andyandsue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisterKisses
I've done the divider thing before in a 10gal. After a couple days they get used to having a "tankmate" and don't always display, they swim around and live normally for the most part. I've had tons of bettas in tanks by themselves where they spend a lot of time flaring at their own reflection anyway.
LOL, that is a good point!
Old 03-04-2007, 03:29 PM   #10 
Andyandsue

Quote:
Originally Posted by basicloser
As for the cups, they are bad but I don’t see how they really fit into this conversation."

Also, I’m not trying to start any fights here as this is all my opinion but if you are buying a fish from a pet store, you aren’t really ‘saving’ it. To me saving it would be taking it away from a person that was mistreating them. By buying them you are just encouraging the places that sell these betta in the poor conditions to continue to get them and keep them the way that they are. They don’t care if you are doing it for a moral reason or not, they are just getting what they want. So really you are/aren’t saving it as it could die in the cup or even go to a bad home…but you are still encouraging pet stores to keep them in these less than optimal conditions. And if you have them in (as per your signature) a 1 gallon (I assume US gallon…and I don’t know the difference between UK) then you still haven’t provided it with a great home.

Again, I’m not trying to start any fights or attacking anyone, just expressing my opinion.

First, If you read the entire thread (which I started), the cups fit right into what we are talking about, which is bettas and their displaying, which I noticed they do a lot when placed in rows next to each other.

Second, do you seriously think that a one gallon cycled tank that has gravel, plants, a filter, etc. isn't a better home than a pint-sized plastic cup filled with blue water, decaying food and fish excrement?? Before I moved him from a three gallon to the one I posted a message here for opinions. I also posted another message that he actually seems happier now.

Third, when I said I felt like "rescuing" a betta that does not mean I go to stores and rescue fish, nor do I care what the store thinks about why I am buying it. It simply means that by removing one from the store because I felt bad for it, that betta is in a better position than they were before. For example: I would never have my dog sleep or stay in a crate when I leave the house, but if someone choses to do this is it better than life at a shelter? Yes. Does that mean they don't have a "great" home? No. Would I ever say to anyone that they are not providing a great home because they chose to do this? Nope.

Lastly, I just want to mention since you're "new here", that you may want to "express" your opinion in a more gentle manner, if you don't want other forum members to feel "attacked". We all respect each other here.