Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-15-2014, 11:19 PM   #1 
Shesha

Red face Witty Title

In my plight to avoid math homework, I've decided to post here with my journey in aquatic life.

I first joined BettaFish.com when I got the idea that I must have an aquarium and researched on how to start. My zealotry back then is a little embarrassing to look back on As it proved, experience was a better teacher for me, though that can be said for nearly every aspect in [my] life

I found out that keeping an aquarium was pleasantly stress relieving.. the way it felt running my hand through wet sand.. the trickling sound of the HOB filter.. the cute fish..

I attempted to make a community based around my betta Narai. First I tried adding some snails.. they died. I didn't exactly know why. I added ghost shrimp.. they died. The culprit then must've been the heavy metals in my well water! So I decided to not bother with inverts. I added ghost catfish; I figured that Narai wouldn't bother them because they were transparent. This was not the case. They were stressed out and scared of him, and he eventually killed every single one. At that point I gave up and let him be the lonely king of his castle.

The issues with my water ultimately halted my journey. Though Narai was ever active and happy, I noticed he developed lacerations on his head. While I'm not completely sure if my diagnosis is correct, I believe long-time exposure to the water quality led to Hole-In-The-Head disease. I took him out of the aquarium and treated him with some medication that escapes me at the moment, but did result in him regaining his health.

Until I made the mistake of putting him back in the tank. He died shortly after with no other signs of sickness.

I had a very big planted tank with no fish. It was very upsetting. I later tested our well water straight from the faucet and it was hard to make sense of the readings; we have 6.# ph but gh/kh through the roof. In retrospect, it made a lot of sense because we have repeatedly had broken water pipes. So, acidic water is eating the old pipes and the metals in the pipes are leeching into the water or something.

I kept my tank without any fauna in it for a while but my plants also died because depression and stress led to my negligence. One of my dogs died to cancer in Dec 2012. I had her since she was two months old and it hasn't stopped hurting. I've been in college for 4 years but I'm nowhere close to graduating. I have a lot of missteps to fix, among other things that are beyond my control. But my newest betta, Mithra, has brought some happiness into my life and I remember now how soothing it is to watch a fish swim.

Old pictures attached.
Attached Images

Shesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:46 PM   #2 
MameJenny

Beautiful tank and betta! Sorry to hear about your water problems, and the loss of your dog. I hope your new fish lives a long, healthy and happy life.
MameJenny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:51 PM   #3 
BlueLacee

Location: Colorado Rockies, the Land of Skiing, Festivals, and Incredibly Rich
I'm sorry to hear about all the problems you've been having. You tank looks great though, and what a beautiful boy you have
BlueLacee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:23 AM   #4 
Shesha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MameJenny View Post
Beautiful tank and betta! Sorry to hear about your water problems, and the loss of your dog. I hope your new fish lives a long, healthy and happy life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLacee View Post
I'm sorry to hear about all the problems you've been having. You tank looks great though, and what a beautiful boy you have
Thank you for the kind words!

------

I went shopping after class one day and stopped at WalMart. I looked at their fish and on the spur of the moment decided that I should get a new betta. They had a lot of dead fish in their tanks and even more dead bettas in their cups. As honorable as it would've been to save a betta from WalMart, I also refuse to contribute to the consumer demand for them to stock fish when their pet department provides inadequate care. Moving on..

I picked Mithra up on April 2nd from a local pet store. The store only has about 5 bettas stocked at a given time, all of them in clean water and happy despite their cups. Not a lot of selection when it comes to colors and types, but I didn't choose Mithra for his color anyway; I picked him because he was the most active. He went crazy when I poked the cup and picked him up.

I also went to PetSmart and got some wisteria, lucky bamboo, and a happy Buddha ornament. Got home and placed Mithra in a bowl. I like the aesthetic of a bowl. It was fine for a few days, but once Mithra got settled in, I had to take the Buddha out to give him more space to swim. Another few days and he was still too big for the bowl, so I switched him out yet again. More space is definitely not a bad thing, but he spends most of his time hanging out in the corner closest to me while I'm at my desk, watching me and trying to guilt with his puppy eyes for food.
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2014, 09:43 AM   #5 
Shesha

Here he is as of today, flaring at me for no apparent reason. (On second thought, I do know why! He HATES my glitter manicure, hah!)
I should be getting some floating pants and Marsilea quadrifolia next week. We'll see how that goes!
Attached Images

Last edited by Shesha; 04-17-2014 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:32 PM   #6 
Shesha

I received some four-leaf clover, dwarf water lettuce, and ludwigia from P_volitan on AquaBid.
The clover had a crazy root system and grown emersed. I'm really hoping it'll do well despite my low-tech setup. My substrate level isn't too deep so I'm having a hard time keeping it anchored down in the sand. I do have more sand, but it's unwashed and the idea of washing it feels like a pain in the butt..
Mithra enjoys the floating plants a lot, he's been curiously looking at them.

I've also ordered JBJ 3 gallon Picotope from Drs Foster and Smith, but it's on backorder until next month.

It's nighttime right now so the pics aren't great and my wisteria's all closed up.
I also do not claim to be a good aquascaper
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2014, 12:22 PM   #7 
Shesha

Mithra made a bubble nest for me! Safe to say, he enjoys the dwarf water lettuce..
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2014, 03:11 PM   #8 
Rollo

Beautiful fish and tanks. Love that water lettuce.
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:56 PM   #9 
BettaLover1313

Wow! What a beautiful tank! Not to mention the beautiful bettas!
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:06 PM   #10 
Shesha

I had an intense day at school yesterday. Monday/Wednesday are my Calculus days. I had a group meeting that lasted 3 hours where we taught ourselves a section of the chapter because we have to teach that section (Kepler's laws of planetary motion) to the class on May 5th.
Today in Linear Algebra was a lot less intense (eigenspaces). Thank goodness it's my easy math class

I added a HOB filter onto Mithra's kritter keeper and fed him some freeze-dried daphnia. The filter is an Azoo Mignon 60 and daphnia by Hikari.
Attached Images