Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2010, 11:45 AM   #1 
Kitch3ntools

so fustrating

well again Rathian is sick, ive separated her into a 2.5g critter keeper thats heated to 82. she has what looks like an ulcer on her anus. im not sure if its internal paricites or a bacterial infection either way shes seperated and im doing salt baths. my question is because shes always getting sick and its always something thats got me worried, should i keep her in the critter keeper and give up on having her live in the sorority?

if you guys/gals think i should keep her seperated is it worth nitrogen cycling a 2.5g?
Kitch3ntools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:48 AM   #2 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Since you can't know exactly what it is and if it's contagious or not, I wouldn't take the chance of keeping her with any other fish. Keep her in the critter keeper until she's healed up and then maybe a few more weeks after that.

I'd rather be safe than sorry. Good luck and I hope she recovers soon.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:49 AM   #3 
xxabc

Not too much I could say. Make sure she's just not constipated. If it's a tumor, then I know you'll have trouble with that. I would probably keep her alone as well, but it's not often I hear success with anyone cycling under a 5gallon. With people who have a bajillion tanks, I often hear "I'm never able to cycle anything below a 5gal..." etc. I personally wouldn't, and would buy a fancy 5gallon + tank for her. I think she'll be okay in a 2.5, though. Good luck, how old is she?
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:21 PM   #4 
Kitch3ntools

shes fairly young, i bought her 3 months ago and she was VERY small probably from the tip of her lip to the end of her tail she was 1/2 an inch shes grown alot shes about an inch now. i think shes happier in the critter keeper because she doesnt have to rush for food :) right now its set up as a hospital tank (nothing in it but her) so i may just make it her new home. shes deff not constapated shes my best pooper, but i have coming in the mail some medicated food for internal paracites just in case, and im about to run out now to ger some bacterial medication (i wont medicate her just yet i medicate if i see no improvement within 5 days or a deterioation in her health, but shes eating good and swimming fine like theres nothing wrong)
thnx i didnt know how small was too small to cycle as both my 10g's are cycled.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:03 PM   #5 
Chicklet

Quote:
she has what looks like an ulcer on her anus
I'd really love to see a picture of this,
Is the Anus Bulged out like their is something inside pushing out, forcing it to enlarge??

Alot and I do mean Alot of Betta's and other fish I have been getting is infestated with Parasites, The parasite I have been running into the fish meds you buy won't kill it!

If this is in fact what she has It is the camallanus worm and it is highly contagious, a simple drop of water from an infected tank will contaminate every fish in the tank!

It will cause the Anus to bulge because she is loaded with the parasite and it's dropping lots of eggs, The worm doesn't always show itself, But if you look close you may see a tiny threadlike red worm hanging from the anus..

Last edited by Chicklet; 02-28-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:18 PM   #6 
Kitch3ntools

shes so hard to photograph! lol i got 2 out of 43 that you can see it. its not a buldge, but when i first saw it it looked almost like a hemorrhoid so i salt bathed her and it healed up so i didnt think anything of it then 2 days later it was an open sore.
Name:  sick1.JPG
Views: 169
Size:  12.4 KB
Name:  sick2.JPG
Views: 167
Size:  27.4 KB
Old 02-28-2010, 04:21 PM   #7 
Kitch3ntools

XD she looks quite chunky in the 1st pic but i think its the angle and the cup shes in for her salt bath. shes not bloted looking at all and theres no pineconing
Old 03-01-2010, 11:34 PM   #8 
Kitch3ntools

just an update, Rathian's wound is completely healed....AQ salt for the win! im almost 100% sure its internal parasites she has a clearish "poop" hanging out of her rectum. would you say its safe to feed her the medicated fish food to rid internal parasites? seeing as ive used the net on my boys that i used on the girls should i feed everyone the medicated food? i also have medication (it was an impulse buy for a "what if" situation) for external parasites should i use that or just continue untill i get the medicated food in the mail?
sorry for all the ?'s ive never had to deal w/ parasites with any of my fish ever before so im kinda grossed out lol and on uber mommy watch which keeps waking up my fish when my face is all up on the tank lol
Old 03-02-2010, 07:35 AM   #9 
Chicklet

All fish should be wormed regularly!
Just like dogs and cats they need worming too,

It's a far bigger problem in fish them most people are aware off,
If one has parasites most likely all the rest does too.

Hopefully the meds you bought will kill it,

Personally if it's made for fish to kill parasites I don't hold much luck in that stuff,
I have a big bunch of it here I almost threw out, it just gives a false sense of security in most every case of parasites I have run into.

Parasites can cause a host of other problems.
You can keep treating the problems that will continue to arise because of the parasites, or you can cure the root cause.

I went thru so much grief with Parasites here,
I thought I didn't have parasites because I did a regular worming always,
But I kept getting all kinds of odd problems keep popping up, I nearly thru the towel in!
Until I decided to try another stronger parasite med, not sold under fish,
Wala, NO MORE problems period!
First thing I reach for now EVERYTIME a new fish comes in my possession is my trusted new parasite med,

Last edited by Chicklet; 03-02-2010 at 07:52 AM.
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:07 AM   #10 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicklet View Post
All fish should be wormed regularly!
Just like dogs and cats they need worming too,

It's a far bigger problem in fish them most people are aware off,
If one has parasites most likely all the rest does too.

Hopefully the meds you bought will kill it,

Personally if it's made for fish to kill parasites I don't hold much luck in that stuff,
I have a big bunch of it here I almost threw out, it just gives a false sense of security in most every case of parasites I have run into.

Parasites can cause a host of other problems.
You can keep treating the problems that will continue to arise because of the parasites, or you can cure the root cause.

I went thru so much grief with Parasites here,
I thought I didn't have parasites because I did a regular worming always,
But I kept getting all kinds of odd problems keep popping up, I nearly thru the towel in!
Until I decided to try another stronger parasite med, not sold under fish,
Wala, NO MORE problems period!
First thing I reach for now EVERYTIME a new fish comes in my possession is my trusted new parasite med,
What is the parasite med you are using?
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote