Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2010, 01:18 PM   #21 
Chicklet

Quote:
do you treat them once or is it like something you regularly do?
Levamisole- 1 tsp of the dry powder treats 50 gallons of water,
You MUST remove any carbon or charcoal before treatment,
It needs to remain in the water for 3 days and 2 nights,
(It may cause your water to go cloudy)
A very diligent gravel vac needs be preformed after treatment is ended.
Treatment needs to be done again in about 2 weeks time.

I find it easier to just treat any new fish in a separate "Quarantine" tank
once treatment is thru and all looks well then I enter them in my main stream of fish.

I Treat all my fish for parasites on a regular basis, every 4 to 6 months,

Quote:
Each one of my fish has his or her own net. When one dies the net gets thrown away.
You really don't need to do that.
Everytime I use a net here it gets dropped in a bucket I keep full of water with a small amount of Javex in it,
Let it set at least 30 mins, Then I drop it in a rinse bucket for a few hours, Then it is hung back up to dry a few hours, and it's ready for use,
I treat every ornament, fake plants,net, syphon hose etc before it goes into any tank.
If I have to put my hands in a tank, I'm very careful to do a throught washing of my hands before they get put in another,

Once you have experienced something as devastating as this you learn the hard way,
No more short cuts, diligents is a must if you don't want to go thru it again.

Last edited by Chicklet; 03-05-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:30 PM   #22 
Kitch3ntools

the Levamisole is in both tanks :) (put it in yesterday afternoon) Chicklet you were right! wow did it ever get cloudy! im resisting the urge to do water changes cuz of how it looks lol. i have snails in both tanks and because the external parasite medication said it would kill invertebrates(sp?) i took all of them out as i was unsure of how this would act on their little bodies. sadly i did lose my pleco Randy like an hour b4 the mail came in :( poor guy.

after the 3 days 2 nights can i do pwc's? or should i do 100%? (my tanks are cycled) and should i keep my snails out until the treatment is finished? or is it ok to put them in durring treatment?
Kitch3ntools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:19 AM   #23 
Chicklet

Quote:
after the 3 days 2 nights can i do pwc's? or should i do 100%? (my tanks are cycled) and should i keep my snails out until the treatment is finished? or is it ok to put them in durring treatment?
Sorry for not checking this thread sooner, only on dialup here and this site takes along time to load..

The biggest thing is doing a very diligent gravel Vac once the treatment is thru., You don't have to remove all the water,
Doing a super good gravel vac will take alot of water out anyways,
Then Put your carbon or charcoal back and that will remove the remaining medicine.

I personally broke down everyone of my tanks and washed everything in A javex solution, Before being put back in the tank, (everything except the filter) But you may not need to do that, Really depends on what type of parasite you have & as to how contagious it is.

As for your snails, I left mine in during the entire treatment, The just went dormant during the treatment, Once it was over they came out of their shells and went about their business like nothing happened,
I did loose a couple but then I do have alot of snails here so they could have died from other causes,
Really up to you, I treated mine because snails can be carriers.

I recently bought about 20 mollies from my local walmart, These guys were all so full of Parasites,
Lost about half of them during treatment, But They also dropped me over 30 young fry.
I knew when I bought them they had parasites and that I'd loose most of them,.
The babies is what I was counting on to recoop my money.

Last edited by Chicklet; 03-11-2010 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:31 AM   #24 
Kitch3ntools

thats ok, i know the pains of dialup lol
i did a 30% pwc lastnight and put my carbon filters back in. i took all their plants(silk not live lol) and caves out and let them sit in boiling water for like 10 mins. needless to say all 8 fish were not happy! lol i usually do my 20-40% pwcs on friday so i threw them off. apparently it was all too much for Tolouse because when i came downstairs he was pointed up with his mouth to the surface motionless i thought i had lost him but i saw his mouth move so i put him in a hospital tank :( if he doesnt come back around i know hes had a good life with me. poor guy i should ave known something wasnt right because he normally bites me while i vaccume his gravel, he doesnt like his things moved around. >.< if i didnt have to go to school i could fishy sit him
Old 03-11-2010, 08:36 AM   #25 
ThePearlFish

aww :( poor Tolouse.

~TPF
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:50 PM   #26 
Kitch3ntools

i lost Toulouse today. :( poor guy. i wish i knew what happened. when i left this morning i had dropped 2 pellets in and they were gone when i found him, so i know he did eat his fav pellets b4 he passed.

was worried about Luci and Ruby this morning too because they didnt eat, but wow did they chow down their dinner! my other 2 boys look a bit lethargic but for some reason (probably because it really really warm in the house) the temp is up at 84 in their tank, i turned the heat down in the livingroom and the tem is slowly creeping back down (i normally keep them at 78-80) ugh what a mess this whole situation is becoming! its all a learning experiance i guess.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:05 PM   #27 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I'm so sorry your going through this. RIP Toulouse. I think I had one that had internal parasites and I bought the Jungle food and mine didn't eat it either. Unfortunately I lost him and now I'm feeding all of my fish pellets dipped in fresh garlic juice. It's a natural remedy that 1fish2fish recommended to someone else and I read the thread. I found a couple days later that some people on here use it regularly to help fight illness and prevent it. It also helps rid internal parasites, but it'll take a lot slower (1fish2fish said about 6 weeks).
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:38 AM   #28 
Chicklet

If your fish should happen to have the Camalanus Parasite the Garlic won't rid it of your fish.
Besides the fact that once the Camalanus Parasite starts to present itself, The fish will be long dead before 6 weeks ever rolls around.