Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2010, 04:31 PM   #1 
bettalover2033

Question regarding the breeding proccess NEED HELP

WELL i have a male and a female of course and my problem is that when he is in his bowl he makes a good sized bubble nest and when i set up every thing to breed them, he makes his bubble nest scattered sometimes he doesn't make his bubble nest at all..

so my question is (is there a way that i can encourage him to build it in the breeding tank)? any comments or responces will be very helpful

??WHAT DO I DO??
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:58 PM   #2 
doggyhog

A few questions:

What is your breeding set up? (temp, tank size, live plants? fake plants? Filter?)

Is your male in view of the female?

How long have you conditioned the fish?
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:52 PM   #3 
bettalover2033

the temp is 73 degrees with a light top. no heater or filter i heard that they dont breed in moving water ten gallon tank., fake plants. and my male is in view of my female. my female is in the hurricane glass. and i dont know what you mean by conditioned???
Old 02-28-2010, 10:18 PM   #4 
doggyhog

Yeah, your gonna need to get a heater. Even if the tank is 73 degrees, the fry are extremely sensitive to water temp changes. Bettas like to breed at temps of at least 80 degrees. I've heard of people even raising the temp to 90.

When the fry hatch, You'll want to get a sponge or corner filter. Even if you have a filter, you'll need to be doing water changes at least every other day.

Conditioning your betta means keeping their water really really clean and feeding them highly nutritious foods so they are ready and strong enough to breed. AKA they are in tip top shape.

Just curious... how much research have you done?
Old 02-28-2010, 10:21 PM   #5 
DragonFish

Hmm....sounds like you need to spend some time on good ol' google. Head over there and search 'Betta Breeding' and literally read EVERYTHING you can find. That should answer most, if not all, of your questions.

I could go into a whole thing about what you need to do, but really all you need is proper research. I recommend slowing things down, just enjoying the company of your bettas for now, and taking at least a few weeks to read up on as much info as possible. Breeding is no walk in the park, you want to research until you can't anymore.....then research again the next day There is no such thing as too much research when preparing to breed.

And something to thing about before you put all your time and effort into this....
Are you prepared to house, feed, care for, and find homes for possibly 200+ fry? Or are you prepared to cull fry that you can't care/find homes for?
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:01 PM   #6 
MrVampire181

Well google dosent have all the answers. I use nutrafin betta max with my regular water treater and it contains almond leaf extract which induces nest building and spawning. Also bettas need 82 degrees for breeding. Also its normal for nest building to take awhile. Spawning isn't as quick as it seems. It takes at least a few days for spawning to start.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:54 AM   #7 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggyhog View Post
Yeah, your gonna need to get a heater. Even if the tank is 73 degrees, the fry are extremely sensitive to water temp changes. Bettas like to breed at temps of at least 80 degrees. I've heard of people even raising the temp to 90.

When the fry hatch, You'll want to get a sponge or corner filter. Even if you have a filter, you'll need to be doing water changes at least every other day.

Conditioning your betta means keeping their water really really clean and feeding them highly nutritious foods so they are ready and strong enough to breed. AKA they are in tip top shape.

Just curious... how much research have you done?
i have done about a month worth of research and what should i feed them to keep them in tip top shape?
Old 03-02-2010, 11:57 AM   #8 
doggyhog

http://www.bettasrus.net/bcorner/conditioning.htm

That should give you everything you need to know.

Not to sound rude or anything, but if you don't even know which foods to feed to condition them, you haven't really done enough research.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:00 PM   #9 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
Hmm....sounds like you need to spend some time on good ol' google. Head over there and search 'Betta Breeding' and literally read EVERYTHING you can find. That should answer most, if not all, of your questions.

I could go into a whole thing about what you need to do, but really all you need is proper research. I recommend slowing things down, just enjoying the company of your bettas for now, and taking at least a few weeks to read up on as much info as possible. Breeding is no walk in the park, you want to research until you can't anymore.....then research again the next day There is no such thing as too much research when preparing to breed.

And something to thing about before you put all your time and effort into this....
Are you prepared to house, feed, care for, and find homes for possibly 200+ fry? Or are you prepared to cull fry that you can't care/find homes for?
actually i have done about a month worth of research and i think im ready i have it all planned out and im going to sell them to my local fish store and give some away and i know that there can be up to 500 Betta's or more per breeding. so i am ready and i have the containers for when they get too aggressive to be with each other. and i have one question and it is why are bettas so aggressive toward others of its kind???
Old 03-02-2010, 12:02 PM   #10 
bettalover2033

i do know i just want some suggestions like i have frozen brine shrimp and im just asking if you have bred any and what food was very successful to you?