Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-28-2010, 04:31 PM   #1 
xxabc

Bettas and Stress. How bad?

Pretty general question, although I do have some specifics.

How bad is a stress to a betta leading towards death? I'm completely aware of stress --> illnesses --> unhappy bettas --> death, but generally, how bad will the stress need to be to actually kill them?

Like for those stressed out bettas that tailbite themselves, (the ones that are actually stressed out and not bored, etc), usually there's not much being able to be done. If they were left like that, would they die THAT much easily? (I'm talking days, weeks, months...)

I'm kind of worrying for my fish. He seems to be a little stressed, but not sure. Need to know what I'm up against.

All thanks!
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:32 PM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

If they're constantly under stress 24'7 it can cause them to get really sick and die. Keeping your fishes water warm (76-80 degrees F) and plenty of room to swim in (2Gs or more) with lots of plants and hiding places will make him happy.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:39 PM   #3 
xxabc

Well I'm glad I've supplied that much... but how much stress would kill them? I would guess there would be different levels of stress too.

Mine's in a divided, and he's just begun to see his neighbor betta. I don't have a backup place for him, and I'm working on covering up the plastic mesh he's seeing through, but not sure when I can get that. So, if he's seeing the neighbor betta for an extended amount of time (even with lights off!), how bad would that be?
Old 02-28-2010, 07:51 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would imagine that they are like people. Some can handle stress better than others, I accidently knocked Fernando on the floor and it didn't seem to faze him.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:08 PM   #5 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Some of mine are in divided tanks and they calm down in a couple weeks. They'll still flare on and off but not as bad. But, I've had a couple that never calm down and they're happier in tanks by themselves. By nature they'd rather be on their own, but I think some like the company.

Last edited by BettaxFishxCrazy; 02-28-2010 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:30 PM   #6 
xxabc

Mmk, my main concern is that I won't be able to cover up everything in time. The plants I currently have won't suffice
Old 02-28-2010, 08:34 PM   #7 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I put large plants up against the sides of the divider so they can't see each other that well.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:42 PM   #8 
xxabc

Yes, which is why I need to go out and get some more, and worried about when I can actually get it.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:43 PM   #9 
reaperss06

mine did fine with stress as well, except for major things like changing him to a brand new tank with all new stuff was a little hard on him. I know he did jump out of my hand once and he seemed fine with it, of course I made sure he didn't do that again.
reaperss06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:15 AM   #10 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Yeah, they're hardy fish. But like with any animal and person; huge amounts of stress for long periods of time can be lead to sickness and possibly death.