Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2010, 08:34 PM   #11 
xxabc

Bad news, I won't be able to go to the LFS anytime soon. I've put the plants against the divider, trying to at least keep some plants outside for cover. The issue is - not all of them are TALL enough. Only some, but when they span out, it doesn't cover the divider.

My betta fish (divided 5 gal) has started tailbiting. It's REALLY really really bad now. I feel terrible, I've already turned off lights. He's bitten all tails (I don't know official names. But the bottom, top, and end tail) already! He JUST bit the upper tail. I feel so bad, and there's nothing I can put him in. The tupperware we have aren't trustworthy (aged, used with a LOT of stuff, I doubt if we bathe it in bleach it will do good). It's hard to explain, but please understand. There's also only one heater to share (and I can't go to LFS) and, well, it's winter. Even in the dark he tends to bite himself.

I've guestimated I have about until Saturday I can go to the LFS. My parents know my schedule. Guess what? I have three tests throughout the whole week, so no option there. I'm worried about him...
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:23 PM   #12 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Do you have aquarium salt? I would give him a couple salt baths and keep the lights off. Some people put flashy things up against the tank or draw on the tank with erasable markers to draw their attention so they don't bite. Most of the time it's just out of boredom.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:37 PM   #13 
xxabc

I do use aquarium salt, yes. I've already drawn on the tank with the markers. It helps for all of 5 minutes. And it is most definitely not out of boredom. He's suddenly seen his neighbor, and now he's raged. Now, I'm very worried on how much stress can kill a betta - I don't want him to go through this everyday. Even with tank lights off, there's enough room light for issues.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:16 PM   #14 
xxabc

Well he's stopped biting SO FAR. I can see small healing-edges on his tails. Hopefully he'll stop biting though. But he's still angry with the neighbor. Always failing and pushing up against the mesh...
Old 03-02-2010, 10:31 PM   #15 
BettaxFishxCrazy

That's good, I hope he stops biting. Some males like the company and others would rather be alone. If he keeps biting, you might have to put him in his own tank.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:49 PM   #16 
xxabc

And that's one of the bigger problems. I have absolutely no space for another tank (which is why I only have one). The tupperware we have is no recommended though. IMO not even bleach could clean off the stuff. Which is why we don't even use it. I don't want my betta in this, either. And, being in the middle of winter, I only have one heater. You can guess for yourself what that means.

Has anybody here experienced their betta biting? How long did it take to calm down??

I'm thinking of alternatives for him to stay in. Mainly worried about temperature though. There is no "warmest room" in the house, only a coldest room (my room). Can't keep him in the bathroom - parents will throw him down the toilet in a second. No, I am absolutely not kidding.

Parents are getting P/Oed with the fish as well. I did a water change today, but the first time this week (but, I did that last W/C on Saturday, so depends how you see that...). Basically, I can never be seen doing a water change ever again for a month. Gonna have to be sly and fast...
Old 03-02-2010, 10:58 PM   #17 
BettaxFishxCrazy

My parents can't stand it either, but my dad loves fish so he doesn't care. I usually clean mine when the bathrooms free and everyone has had a shower and cleaned up. I've had a couple tail bitters. It's very frustrating; I had one who would wait for his tail to grow long THAN would bite it back down. You can't really put a time limit on it, it's up to them when they stop.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:45 PM   #18 
xxabc

My dad would probably sell them somewhere, my mom would stop cold and kill 'em. My dad is more humane though, but he doesn't seem to understand why I do water changes at least once a week, although i catch myself doing twice a week anyways.

When did they stop though, on average? A month? A year? And I'm afraid my betta will do that too - start biting as soon as it grows. I wouldn't be surprised if he was though, he still looks very stressed! Or at least flaring all day. Even when lights are off, if there is enough indirect sunlight, or even living-room light, they will flare anyways. And "enough" actually means "very little"
Old 03-03-2010, 01:45 AM   #19 
xxabc

What are the chances getting snails would distract them? The markers are good, but too "boring". It's like a "Oh, whats that! Oh." moment. I've seriously considered snails, but too worried on their stress levels to get them ATM...unless it would distract them? I'm hopeful, but doubtful.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:13 AM   #20 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I'm not sure, you could probably get one ghost shrimp per side. I think 2.5Gs is enough for one, but hopefully someone can answer that for you. The one that let his fins grow back and than bite them again didn't stop until a couple months ago. My friend took him because I thought I was doing something wrong, but she said that he just stopped recently.