Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2010, 05:26 PM   #21 
xxabc

Not too interested in shrimp, I'd personally get snails instead. I may get them in a week or two, unless someone says otherwise. There's just nothing to distract them...! And, how long is that though? Like, did he do it for a couple months?
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:57 PM   #22 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Yeah, he was doing it for 3-4 months. He'll probably start again soon. Sometimes he would stop for a week or so than bite it again.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:47 PM   #23 
xxabc

Not what I wanted to hear... was he stressed, or was he bored? Like was he constantly flaring at something, or seemed agitated, and started tailbiting? Or is there nothing for him to do? Etc?
Old 03-04-2010, 09:17 AM   #24 
BettaxFishxCrazy

He rarely flared at his partner on the other side of the divider. I thought he wanted to be by himself so I put him in his own tank and he still decided to do it. Everything I tried didn't work. That's why I gave him to my friend, I thought I was being a bad fishy mom. I gave my friend a Christmas card that had crazy colors on it so she put it up against his tank and he seemed to stop biting for a little bit, but than started doing it again.
I've heard that snails poop A LOT and if you get two of them, they breed like crazy (if it's a male and female of course) and you'll end up with HUNDREDS of baby snails. There have been a couple threads on here about people having to deal with all of the babies and they're so hard to get rid of once you have them. I think one was lucky enough to find them homes but the other one had to kill them. But, if you put one on each side of the divider, you won't have this problem.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:38 PM   #25 
xxabc

Well I'm planning on one nerite, and one mystery.

Nerites, even if they do breed in freshwater, their eggs will not hatch. Their eggs will only hatch in brackish conditions.

Mysteries do breed like crazy, but I'm still tryiing to find out if they can cross breed with a Nerite or not. It's doubtful, but I don't want that many snails anyway.

I can see improvement on the tails, they're growing back. He hasn't started biting again, but it may be because they're so short.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:43 PM   #26 
xxabc

Wow, my tail-biting betta is quite the absurd one. I think he bit his upper-fin, or at least it looks like it. But he just built this MASSIVE bubble nest. And that was after I left the tank light on, and all the house lights off (and it's 8PM here, so it's pitch black). Soooo they got a healthy hour of flaring at themselves. And yet I come home to this. I don't know whether to be optimistic or not, I'm quite confused why he would do this.